If you’re looking to track the number of hours you spend reading per day or week but are not sure if Kindle tracks reading time, this post explains everything about kindle reading time tracking. Let’s get started.
Kindle tracks reading time, but you can’t access the information from the device. Amazon Kindle records your reading time on the Reading Insights program, which is only available on the Kindle app and your Amazon account. You can also track your Kindle reading time through the Kindle Freetime or Goodreads.
In the following paragraphs, I will show you how to check your Kindle reading time outside your Kindle devices.
What is Kindle Reading Insights?
Kindle Reading Insights is a Kindle program that organizes all your reading stats across your Kindle devices in one place. Such stats include:
- Your reading time (according to days and weeks — not hours, yet!)
- The books you’ve read on your Kindle devices
- The books you are reading currently
- Your reading progress (The amount of time left to finish your current title)
- Your reading wishlist.
Sadly, Reading Insights isn’t available directly on Kindle devices.
The reason for that is simple: Most Kindle readers prefer to use the device offline, but Reading Insights needs an internet connection to work.
But don’t lose hope yet. Amazon may consider adding the feature to Kindle devices in the future.
For now, you can access Reading Insights from your Amazon Kindle app on your Android and iOs devices. You can also view your reading stats from your Amazon account.
How to Track Your Reading Time on Kindle App
You can check your reading time easily from the Reading Insights option on your Amazon Kindle app.
Take the following steps to track your reading time on the Kindle app:
- Download the Amazon Kindle app on your Android phone or iOs device.
- Open the app.
- Click on More at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Reading Insights.
- The system will display the number of consecutive days and weeks you’ve read your Kindle books in that month.
- You’ll also see a calendar showing all the days in the current month.
- If you’ve read a book on any day in the month, that date will have a blue line below it.
How to Track Kindle Reading Time on Your Amazon Account
Your Amazon account is another place where you can track your reading time on your Kindle. This option is best for users who prefer reading their Kindle books on a PC, rather than from a phone.
Follow these steps to check your reading time on your Amazon account:
- Open your web browser.
- Enter Kindle Insights website in your search bar.
- This will take you to the Amazon Kindle Insights website.
- Log in to your Amazon account from this website to view your reading time.
Tracking Kindle Reading Time From Your Freetime Account
I know I said you can’t track reading time directly from your Kindle devices. But there’s a hack that lets you bypass this hurdle. That hack involves using a Freetime account.
Let me explain:
Kindle Freetime was originally created for parents who wanted to help their children build reading habits. As a parent, you had to add the books you wanted your children to read on your Kindle through the Freetime app.
When your child opens a book on your Kindle device, the Freetime service will track their reading time and display it on the Kindle dashboard.
Even if you don’t have a child, you can still use the Kindle Freetime service to your benefit. That said, you’ll have to add all the books you want to read through the Freetime app, instead of your Kindle app.
After you start reading a book, you can close it and view your reading time from the dashboard on your Kindle device.
Here’s how to do it in simple steps:
- Download the Freetime app on your Google Play Store or Appstore.
- Open the app and create a Freetime account.
- Connect your Kindle to your Freetime account.
- Add the book you want to read from your Freetime account.
- Start reading the book.
- When you close the book, your reading time will appear on your Kindle dashboard.
Please note that this method has a few downsides. For instance, you can’t share any highlights or notes you make from your Freetime library. Also, you’ll have to enter a password whenever you want to read a book on your Kindle.
How to Track Your Kindle Reading Time with Goodreads
Another secret way to track your Kindle reading time is to use the Goodreads integration on your Kindle reader.
Goodreads is a social media service that lets book lovers share their thoughts on the books they’ve read. When connected to your Kindle reader, Goodreads will display your reading progress and reading time on your account.
It will also show the books you’ve read and wishlisted. Of course, this information will be visible to you and your Goodreads friends.
Use the following guide to link your Kindle to your Goodreads account:
- Open up your Kindle library.
- Click on the three-dot icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Goodreads.
- If you don’t have a Goodreads account, you’ll need to create one first.
- Then, link it to your Kindle library.
After connecting both accounts, go back to your Kindle library and open a book. Goodreads will display a pop-up asking if you want to share the book on your Goodreads account. If you click Yes, the service will share your reading progress and reading time on your account.
Goodreads will also display the books on your wishlist and those you’ve read in the past.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Track Hours Read on My Kindle?
There is no way to track reading hours directly from your Kindle library. However, if you connect your Kindle library to Freetime, you’ll be able to view your reading hours from the library. Another way to track your Kindle reading hours is to link the library to a Goodreads account.
How Does Kindle Know How Much Time Left in a Book?
Kindle calculates the amount of time left to finish a book by studying the speed at which you flip through the pages in the book. Nevertheless, you should note that the time left displayed by Kindle is rarely accurate. It is usually off by a few minutes.
How Many Hours Should a Kindle Last?
The average Kindle lasts between 7-12 hours when fully charged. But the exact number of hours your Kindle lasts will depend on how you use it. If you leave the Wi-Fi on for a long time, don’t expect it to stay on for a long time.
Although your Kindle reader won’t display your reading time naturally, you can still discover your reading time by applying some shortcuts. Use these shortcuts to develop wholesome reading habits.