Are you looking for programming instructions for your ADT Smart Door Lock? If so, you’re on the right page.
In the following paragraphs, I’ll walk you through the steps to program your ADT Smart Door Lock (Kwikset SmartCode 914), including troubleshooting steps to try if the lock malfunctions. Let’s head right into it!
Enabling the Master Code on Your ADT Door Lock
The Master Code for this lock is a 4 to 8-digit number that adds an extra layer of security to the lock. What this means is, with the Master Code enabled, you need to enter the code to make programming changes in the lock—such as adding/deleting User Codes.
However, the Master Code is disabled by default, and you’ll have to enable it to get it working.
With that said, follow the steps below to enable and set the Master Code on Your ADT Door Lock:
- Remove the cover on the back of your lock (interior assembly) to locate the Program button (a black circle button)
- Press and hold the Program button (for about 5 seconds) until the keypad blinks green.
- Enter a Master Code (4 to 8 digits), then press the Lock button on the keypad.
- Re-enter the Master Code and press the Lock button.
If the keypad flashes green once, followed by one beep, it means the programming is successful. That is, you’ve successfully enabled and set a Master Code, so you’ll need it to program any function in the lock from now on.
However, if the keypad flashes red three times with three beeps, it means the programming is unsuccessful. Repeat the steps and ensure the code you entered in step 4 matches the code in step 3.
Creating/Adding New User Codes to Your ADT Door Lock
A User Code for this lock is a 4 to 8-digit code you can enter on the keypad to unlock the lock. The lock allows you to add up to 30 User Codes—that can be shared with guests, family, and anyone else you want to give access to your home while you’re away.
Note that the lock comes with no User Code programmed, so you’ll need to add User Codes yourself.
That said, here’s how to add a User Code on Your ADT Door Lock:
- Locate the Program button on the inside of the interior assembly (requires removing the interior cover).
- Press the Program button once and enter the Master Code.
- Press the Lock button on the keypad and enter a new User Code (4 to 8 digits).
- Press the Lock button once to complete the process. The keypad will flash green once, followed by one beep, showing that the User Code has been successfully added.
Repeat the steps to add more User Codes and ensure each User Code is unique.
Changing/Deleting User Codes on Your ADT Door Lock
If you wish to change a User Code on your ADT Door Lock, you can delete it and create another User Code (see how to create a User Code above).
The lock allows you to delete a single User Code or delete all programmed User Codes at once. Let’s start with how to delete a single User Code.
Follow the steps below to delete a User Code on Your ADT Lock:
- Locate the Program button on the inside of the interior assembly (interior cover removed). Next, press the Program button once and enter your Master Code.
- Press the Lock button on the keypad once, then enter the User Code you want to delete.
- Press the Lock button on the keypad once and then re-enter the User Code you want to delete.
- Press the Lock button again to complete the process. The keypad will flash green once, followed by one beep, showing that the code is deleted.
Deleting All User Codes
To delete all existing User Codes on your ADT Lock at once, follow the steps below:
- Press the Program button and then press the Lock button on the keypad.
- Enter the Master Code and press the Lock button.
- Press key 9 on the keypad six times, and then press the Lock button.
- Press key 9 six times again. Next, press the Lock button on the keypad to complete the process.
If the keypad flashes green once, followed by one beep, it means the operation is successful. That is, all existing User Codes have been successfully deleted.
Note that you can’t lock/unlock your door via the keypad if you don’t program new User Codes. You should add new codes after deleting all existing User Codes.
Related Questions and Troubleshooting Tips
How do I change my ADT door lock code?
To change your ADT Door Lock User Code, simply delete the code and then program a new code (see how to delete and add a User Code above).
How do I reset my ADT door lock?
Here’s how to reset your ADT Door Lock:
- On the back of your lock (the interior assembly), slight the cover up to remove it. Next, remove the battery pack.
- Press and hold the Program button. Next, put the battery pack back in—while still holding the Program button.
- Continue holding the Program button (for about 30 seconds) until you hear a beep and the LED indicator flashes red.
- Press the Program button once. The LED indicator will flash green and red light several times. Wait a few seconds for the lock to start the door handing process (the latch bolt extends and retracts).
And that’s all about resetting your ADT Smart Lock.
Note that performing a factory reset will erase all previous programming, so you’ll have to start all over again to program the lock. And be sure to add new User Codes, else you can’t unlock your door through the lock’s keypad.
How long does the ADT Smart Lock battery last?
On average, the batteries in your ADT lock can last a little over a year. However, the longevity of the batteries depends mostly on usage.
What batteries does ADT Smart Lock use?
For best results, use non-rechargeable alkaline batteries. Lithium/rechargeable batteries are not recommended.
Why is my ADT Door Lock keypad unresponsive?
This might be happening because of low batteries. To fix this, install a fresh set of alkaline batteries and then try operating the lock again to see if it works.
If the problem persists, contact ADT or Kwikset Technical Support for help.
As mentioned earlier, this post covers how to enable Master Code on your ADT Door Lock, add/delete User Codes, and some troubleshooting tips to try if the lock isn’t working.
Keep in mind that the Smart Lock that comes with your ADT Security System is Kwikset SmartCode 914. So if there are other programming instructions you can’t find here, try googling the lock to find the manual. You can also check Kwikset’s website for SmartCode 914 programming instructions.