The Wemo Smart Light Switch does its job—connects to your phone and allows you to control your lights from miles away via the app.
However, the device sometimes malfunctions, and one common problem is the Wemo App not detecting Wemo Light Switch.
Though the cause of this issue is unknown, the good news is you can easily fix the problem by restarting your device.
Not enough information to help you fix your malfunctioning Wemo Light Switch? I get that—see the next paragraphs for a step-by-step guide to fix the problem.
Wemo Light Switch Not Detected: How to Fix the Problem
1. Restart Your Device
As mentioned, you don’t need to be alarmed when the Wemo app isn’t detecting Wemo Light Switch as this is a common issue with this device.
So the first (and most viable) step to take in resolving this problem is to restart the device.
More often than not, restarting the device will fix the issue, meaning your next attempt to connect your Wemo light switch to the app won’t be met with the “light switch not detected bug”.
That said, if you’re not sure how to restart your Wemo Light Switch, here’s how to do that.
Restarting Wemo Light Switch
Press and hold the Restart/Power button for 1 second and then release it. If the Wi-Fi indicator button blinks green afterward, it means the device is restarting.
If the Wemo Light Switch isn’t responding after pressing the Restart button, turn the circuit breaker OFF and then turn it back ON. Now try to restart your device again—it should work this time and possibly fix the problem.
Your device is still not working after restarting it? See the next step.
2. Factory Reset the Device
For the most part, restarting your device can fix the ‘Wemo Light Switch not detected bug’. However, if it doesn’t work for you, then factory resetting the device is your best bet.
But keep in mind that factory resetting the device will erase all previous settings, so you’ll have to start all over again to set up the device.
That said, you can either reset the Wemo light switch via the app or by using the Reset button. See how to do that below.
How to Reset a Wemo Light Switch (Using the Reset Button)
- Press and hold the Restart button for 1 second and then release it. The Wi-Fi indicator will blink green, indicating the device is restarting.
- Now immediately press and hold the Reset button (also known as the Wi-Fi Reset button) for 5 seconds.
And that’s all about resetting your Wemo Light Switch. The Wemo Light Switch icon will blink a quick orange light, indicating the process was successful. If not, repeat the steps and ensure you’re doing it correctly.
If the device doesn’t respond to the Restart button, turn it OFF via the circuit breaker and then turn it back ON.
Note: The Wemo Light Switch will take about 90 seconds to complete the reset. When the reset is complete, the Wi-Fi indicator light will start alternating between green and orange lights, showing the device is ready to be set up.
If you’re not sure how to set up the Wemo Light Switch after restoring factory settings, you want to continue reading.
How to Connect Wemo Light Switch to Wi-Fi and Wemo App
To set up your Wemo Light Switch with the Wemo app via Wi-Fi, make sure your Wemo Light Switch is properly installed, Wi-Fi and internet connection is active, and know the Wi-Fi name and password of your device.
You’ll also need to have a compatible smartphone—iOS 9.0 or higher or Android 4.4 or a higher version.
That said, here’s how to integrate your Wemo Light Switch with the Wemo app for remote access:
- Install the Wemo App on your smartphone. The App can be downloaded from Google Play or App Store.
- Turn on your phone’s Wi-Fi and ensure it’s connected to your home Wi-Fi. Note that Wemo Light Switch can only connect to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band.
- Find your Wemo Light Switch Wi-Fi name. If you haven’t changed it, the default Wi-Fi name is Light.xxx.
- Connect to the Wemo Light Switch and then launch the Wemo app. Now tap NEXT on the Let’s Get Started screen and then enter your email address and tap NEXT.
- Select your Wi-Fi name and then enter your password. Wait for a few seconds for the Wemo App to connect to your Wi-Fi. If it takes too long to connect to Wi-Fi, refresh your phone and try to connect again.
- Once connected to Wi-Fi, the Remote Access Enabled message will appear on your screen. Now the Wemo App will search and display your Wemo Light Switch and other Wemo devices available.
Now the setup is complete and you can tap on the Pencil icon, select the Wemo Light Switch and customize it as you want. You can change the name, device picture, and more.
And yes, you can now create different schedules for your Wemo Light Switch via the Wemo App on your phone.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot the ‘Wemo Switch not detected by Alexa‘ bug.
So there you have it! Restarting and/or resetting your Wemo Light Switch can help fix the bug — “Wemo Light Switch not detected or unavailable”.
However, if the problem isn’t resolved after restarting or resetting the device, check to see if your current version of the Wemo app is out of date. If there’s a new version, update it and then try to set it up again.
If the Wemo app is still not detecting your Wemo Light Switch, call Wemo/Belkin Technical Support at 1-800-223-5546 for further help.
You may also consider replacing your device, depending on the lifespan.