Did the auto-unlock feature on your Wyze Lock stop working? In this article, you’ll learn why this happens and how to resolve the issue. Let’s get right into it.
If your Wyze Lock auto-unlock isn’t working, here are some common reasons behind this issue:
- You haven’t enabled Auto Unlock.
- Your Wi-Fi signal strength is poor.
- Location Service is disabled.
- Your Wyze Lock batteries are low.
- Your Bluetooth connection is faulty.
- There is a bug in your Wyze app.
Now, let’s look at what you can do to resolve this issue.
Wyze Lock Auto Unlock Not Working: How to Troubleshoot
1. Enable the Auto Unlock Feature in the Wyze App
The Wyze Lock comes with an auto-unlock feature. But the Lock won’t automatically unlock if you don’t enable the auto-unlock feature.
So, if your Wyze Lock auto-unlock isn’t working, chances are the feature is not active, so you’ll need to check and enable it.
Follow these steps below to enable auto-unlock via the Wyze App:
- Open the Wyze app on your phone.
- Click on the Wyze Lock on the Home screen of your Wyze app.
- Next, hit the gear icon to access Lock Settings.
- Select Auto Unlock.
- Now, toggle the switch on the auto-unlock tab to activate the feature. The system will ask you to choose a Home location. Your Home location is the area where your house is.
Choosing a home location will help the Wyze Lock detect when you are near your house. It will then unlock your door automatically.
After you activate this feature, always switch on your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when you are near the house. The Auto-Unlock feature requires a Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection to work properly.
2. Leave the Wyze Lock Tab
Your Wyze Lock will not unlock automatically if you are on the Wyze Lock tab in the Wyze app. If you want the Auto-Unlock feature to work perfectly, you need to leave the Lock tab in the app when you are outside your door.
But if you need to perform an action on the Wyze Lock tab, wait until you get inside your home.
3. Geofence the Exact Location of Your Home
Auto-Unlock requires you to set geofences around the location of your home. Once you reach the geofenced area, your phone connects with the Wyze Lock through Bluetooth, thus auto-unlocking the lock.
That said, your phone needs to be closer to your door for the Wyze Lock to connect to it.
If your phone doesn’t connect to the Wyze Lock within 10 minutes of getting home, the auto-unlock feature will deactivate.
Your auto-unlock feature might not work because you take over 10 minutes to arrive at your doorstep from the location you’ve geofenced.
If you want the auto-unlock feature to stay active until you reach your door, then you need to geofence your exact home address on the Wyze app. This way, you’ll be able to connect to your Wyze Lock within 10 minutes of getting home.
4. Enable Location Services on Your Phone
The auto-unlock feature won’t work on your Wyze Lock if you haven’t enabled Location Services on your phone.
Wyze Lock needs to detect your location to know when to turn on the auto-unlock feature. Once you are in the location you’ve geofenced, your Wyze Lock connects to your phone and unlocks automatically.
But if you’ve turned off your Location settings, the Wyze Lock won’t be able to determine where you are. As a result, it won’t activate its auto-unlock feature.
If your Wyze Lock isn’t auto-unlocking, one fix to try is to turn on Location on your phone.
Follow these steps to switch on Location on your phone:
- Click on the Settings app on your phone.
- Select Personal.
- Next, choose Location.
- Finally, toggle the Location switch to the ON position. After turning on your phone’s location, you still need to permit the Wyze app to access your location.
- Under the Location tab, click on App access to location.
- Scroll down to the Denied section to find the Wyze app.
- Then tap on the Wyze app.
- You’ll see a list of permission options for the app. Choose Allow all the time to let your Wyze app access your location.
- Exit your Settings app.
5. Change Your Wyze Lock Batteries
If your Wyze Lock batteries are low, the auto-unlock feature may not work. In that case, you have to get new batteries. Your Wyze Lock needs 4 non-rechargeable AA alkaline batteries.
Take the following steps to replace your Wyze Lock batteries:
- Open the Wyze Lock cover
- Fold the battery latches up.
- Remove the old batteries and insert new ones.
- Put the battery latch down
- Close the Lock cover.
6. Power-cycle Your Phone’s Bluetooth
Sometimes, your Wyze Lock may fail to auto-unlock because your Bluetooth connection is faulty. If none of the tips above has worked for you, try power cycling your Bluetooth to see if that helps.
To cycle your phone’s Bluetooth, switch it off. Then, turn it on again. Your Bluetooth should now connect easily to the Wyze Lock.
7. Reboot Your Phone
If your Wyze Lock fails to auto-unlock after you’ve tried all the troubleshooting tips here, reboot your phone. You can reboot your phone by switching it off and turning it back on. After completing the rebooting process, your phone should connect to your Wyze Lock.
8. Use Location-based Triggers
What if your Wyze Lock fails to auto-unlock even after you’ve rebooted your phone? Then there might be a bug in your Wyze app.
Nevertheless, you can resolve this problem by using a location-based trigger to automatically unlock your Wyze Lock. When you set up a location-based trigger for the auto-unlock feature, your Wyze Lock will automatically unlock when you arrive at the set location.
Here’s how to set up a location-based trigger:
- Open your Wyze app.
- Click on the ‘+’ sign at the top of the screen.
- Next, select Add Rule.
- Then, click on Location Trigger.
- Tap Set Location.
- Choose the location and create a geofence.
- Now, click on Add Action.
- Select Wyze Lock.
- Choose Auto-Unlock.
- Then click on Save.
Your Wyze Lock will now unlock automatically when you arrive at your home.
If your Wyze Lock isn’t auto-unlocking, turn on the auto-unlock feature and leave the Wyze Lock tab. Next, geofence your exact home location and enable location services.
If the Wyze Lock still doesn’t auto-unlock after this, replace the batteries and power-cycle your Bluetooth. Finally, reboot your phone and set a location-based trigger.
But if none of these tips troubleshoots the Wyze Lock auto-unlock issue, contact Wyze Support and report your problem. The team should provide a solution to your problem.