Arlo Doorbell Camera Not Recording (How to Troubleshoot)
If you’re looking for tips to fix recording issues in your Arlo doorbell camera, this post is your go-to resource.
In the following paragraphs, we’ll walk you through the steps to get your Arlo doorbell camera to record events. Let’s dive in!
Arlo Doorbell Camera Not Recording: Try These Troubleshooting Steps
1. Subscribe to an Arlo Security Plan
If your Arlo doorbell camera isn’t recording, chances are you haven’t signed up to an Arlo security plan. Arlo subscription plans provide features like event recording and cloud storage.
If you haven’t subscribed to an Arlo security plan, your Arlo doorbell camera may not record videos. That said, you can subscribe to the 7-day free trial to test the features on your chosen Arlo security plan before paying for a monthly plan.
Follow these steps to subscribe to an Arlo security plan:
- Tap the Arlo app on your phone to open it.
- Click on Settings and select Subscription.
- Now go to the Arlo security plan you want and tap Subscribe Now.
- The Arlo app will give you the instructions you need to subscribe to the Arlo security plan you’ve chosen. Follow these instructions to purchase the plan.
2. Turn on Motion Settings on Your Arlo Doorbell Camera
If your Arlo doorbell camera isn’t recording videos, your motion settings might be turned off. Your Arlo Doorbell Camera can only record videos after motion has been detected.
To solve this problem, you need to enable motion detection settings. If you activate motion settings correctly, your Arlo doorbell will automatically record videos when it detects motion. These videos will be sent to your cloud.
Here’s how to enable motion settings on your Arlo doorbell camera:
- Open the Arlo app on your phone. Next, tap the Menu icon at the top of the app’s home screen.
- Tap Motion Settings and select Motion Triggered Alerts.
- Next, click on Add Device.
- Choose your doorbell camera.
- Then tap Next and select Record Video.
- Click Next. The system will ask you to choose between “Record until activity stops” and “Record for a specific length of time.” Select the most suitable option for you.
- If you choose Record for a specific length of time, the app will ask you to set the time you want the camera to spend recording an event.
- Once you are satisfied with your options, click Next.
- Now, tap Done to save the settings.
3. Connect Your Arlo Doorbell to a New Wi-Fi Network
Your Arlo doorbell camera may fail to record videos because the device’s Wi-Fi connection is faulty.
If your Arlo doorbell camera isn’t recording, check that it is still connected to a Wi-Fi network. If it isn’t recording even though it is connected to Wi-Fi, switch to a new Wi-Fi network.
Take the following steps to change your Arlo doorbell’s Wi-Fi network:
- Open your Arlo app and tap Settings. Then select My Devices.
- Click on your Arlo doorbell.
- Next, tap Connected To under the Device On switch. You’ll see whether the Arlo doorbell is still connected to Wi-Fi.
- Now, click on the Change Network button.
- Tap the new Wi-Fi network to connect it to the Arlo doorbell.
If your Arlo doorbell camera doesn’t record events after you’ve changed your Wi-Fi, reboot your router. Then reconnect the camera to the Wi-Fi network.
To reboot your router, unplug it from the power source and plug it back in.
4. Contact the Arlo Support Center
If none of the tips above work, report the problem to the Arlo Support Center. The team should provide a solution for you.
You can also ask the Arlo Community to see if you can get some helpful tips.
So that’s how to troubleshoot recording issues in your Arlo doorbell camera.
To recap, if your Arlo doorbell camera isn’t recording, check that you’ve subscribed to an Arlo security plan. Next, activate Motion Settings for the Arlo doorbell camera. If this fails, connect your Arlo doorbell camera to a new Wi-Fi network.
But if none of the tips above fixes the issue, reach out to Arlo Support for help.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot recording/motion detection issues in Wyze Outdoor Cam and Eufy Camera.