If you’re having problems connecting your Arlo Video Doorbell to the Base Station, keep reading.
In this post, we’ll walk you through the steps to fix this problem. Let’s get started.
Arlo Video Doorbell Won’t Connect to Base Station: How to Troubleshoot
Here are some troubleshooting tips to try if your Arlo Video Doorbell isn’t connecting to the Base Station:
1. Reboot Your Base Station
Rebooting your Base Station will restart the device, thus giving your Arlo Video Doorbell another chance to connect to the Base Station.
To reboot your Base Station, follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the AC power plug from the Base Station.
- Wait for about 15 seconds.
- Now, plug the AC power plug back in.
If this doesn’t help, continue to the next step.
2. Ensure Your Base Station is connected to the Internet
Your Base Station needs to be connected to the internet before your Arlo Video Doorbell can connect to it. If your video doorbell cannot connect to your Base Station, check that the Base Station is online.
Here’s how to check if your Base Station is connected to the internet:
If your Base Station is online, it will display a green light. But if you can only see an amber light, the Base Station might have encountered a connection error.
You’ll need to troubleshoot the Base Station to resolve this connection error. You can troubleshoot this error by changing your Wi-Fi network, replacing your Ethernet cable, rebooting, or factory resetting the Base Station.
3. Move Your Base Station Closer to Your Arlo Video Doorbell
Your Base Station will only connect your Arlo Video Doorbell if it is within range.
So, your Arlo Video Doorbell may not be connecting to your Base Station because it is too far away from it.
Check if the Base Station is positioned too far from the Arlo Video Doorbell. If so, try to bring it closer—within 300 feet of the doorbell.
4. Download the Latest Version of the Arlo App
Old versions of the Arlo app may contain bugs that prevent your Arlo Video Doorbell from connecting to the Base Station. You can fix these bugs by installing the newest version of the Arlo app.
The following guide will show you how to update your Arlo app:
- Open the Google Play or App Store.
- Type ‘Arlo app’ in the search bar.
- Next, click on the Arlo app in the search results. This should direct you to the Arlo app page.
- Click on the Update button at the top of the screen to download the latest Arlo app version.
5. Update Your Arlo Video Doorbell Firmware
If your Arlo Video Doorbell is still not connecting to your Base Station, your doorbell’s firmware version might be outdated.
As you probably know, Arlo releases new firmware versions periodically for continuous, reliable operation. And your device may malfunction if you’re yet to upgrade to the latest version.
So, you’ll need to check and update the firmware version of your Arlo Video Doorbell to see if it fixes the connection problem.
Follow these steps to update your Arlo Video Doorbell’s firmware:
- Open the Arlo app on your phone/tablet.
- Click on Settings, then select My Devices.
- Select your Arlo Video Doorbell from the list of devices that appear.
- Now, tap Device Info and select Firmware Update.
Your Arlo Doorbell firmware will start updating.
6. Factory Reset Your Arlo Video Doorbell
While you were setting up your Arlo Video Doorbell, the device may have encountered an error. And this may prevent the video doorbell from connecting to your Base Station. You can fix this setup error by restoring your video doorbell’s factory settings.
Follow these steps to factory reset your Arlo Video Doorbell:
- Use a paper clip or pin to press and hold the reset button on your video doorbell. The reset button is located inside the hole at the back of the doorbell.
- Keep holding the reset button until the light on the front of the doorbell flashes quickly. This should take about 10 seconds after you press the reset button.
- Release the reset button once the light on the front of the video doorbell flashes.
- The video doorbell will now start rebooting. Wait for about 45 seconds for the rebooting to complete.
- Your video doorbell will display a solid white light after the reboot is complete. Now your video doorbell is reset.
7. Reconnect the Doorbell to the Base Station
After factory resetting your Arlo Video Doorbell, you can now reconnect the doorbell to your Base Station.
Take the following steps to reconnect your Arlo Video Doorbell to your Base Station:
- Open the Arlo app on your phone.
- Click on Settings and select My Devices.
- On the Devices page, click on Add New Device.
- Next, click on the Arlo Video Doorbell you are using.
- The Arlo app will give you a list of instructions to follow. Go through these instructions until Arlo detects your Base Station.
- After Arlo discovers your Base Station, another set of instructions will appear. Use these instructions to connect your Arlo Video Doorbell to the Base Station.
If your Arlo Video Doorbell isn’t connecting to your Base Station, reboot the Base station. Then check that the Base Station is connected to the internet. If the doorbell still fails to connect to the Base station, move the Base Station closer to the Arlo Video Doorbell.
You should also update your Arlo app and Arlo Video Doorbell firmware. Finally, you can try factory resetting your video doorbell, after which you may reconnect the doorbell to the Base Station.
Your Arlo Video Doorbell should connect to your Base Station after you’ve tried all these tips.
If the problem persists, contact Arlo Customer Support for help.
You may also like to see how to:
Troubleshoot motion detection issues with the Arlo camera.