If you’ve just installed a new Brinks Digital Deadbolt, you’ll find that it won’t work electronically until you perform the Door Handing Detection.
Not sure what that means? I get that! The next few paragraphs contain more information as to why your Brinks lock may not work electronically and how to fix the problem. Let’s begin!
Your Brinks lock may not work electronically if:
- You’re yet to perform the Door Handing Detection after installation.
- You restored default factory settings and didn’t perform the Door Handing Detection.
- The batteries are low or not properly installed.
How to Fix a Brinks Digital Deadbolt that Won’t Work Electronically
So here are some troubleshooting steps that may help you fix a Brinks Digital Lock that isn’t working electronically.
1. Perform the Door Handing Detection
For a new Brinks electronic lock, you need to perform the Door Handing Detection after installation to unlock electronic functions. If you’re yet to do this on your new Brinks lock, then it won’t work electronically.
More so, if you’ve just factory reset your lock, the system automatically returns all programming to default and you’ll have to perform the door handing detection again to unlock electronic functions.
Here’s how to perform the Door Handing Detection on a Brinks Electronic Deadbolt:
- Step 1: On the keypad, enter the default Programming Code (0000) and Press the BRINKS button.
- Step 2: Press 0 and then press the BRINKS button.
The lock will beep and flash green twice, indicating the door handing detection has been successfully completed.
So that’s all about enabling electronic functions on a new Brinks lock.
However, if you didn’t install the lock newly nor restored factory settings, but the lock stops working, skip this step to the next one.
2. Check that the Batteries Are Active and Properly Placed
Your lock may stop working if the batteries are low/inactive. So check that the batteries are still active, otherwise, replace them with 4 AA alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable). And ensure you don’t mix old batteries with new ones as that may cause battery leakage and hence undesirable operation.
If you’ve just replaced the batteries but the lock won’t work, check if you’re using the right batteries. As mentioned, Brinks Digital Deadbolt uses 4 AA alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable). Lithium or rechargeable batteries are not recommended.
More so, check if the batteries are properly positioned—the positive ends (+) pointing up. Wrong battery installation may also cause your lock to stop working.
If your lock is still not working after the above, try the next step.
3. Factory Reset the Lock
So assuming you ticked all the boxes in steps 1 and 2 above, but the lock isn’t working yet, then factory resetting is your best bet.
Restoring factory settings will erase all previous programming and as well (possibly) fix any glitch in your lock.
But keep in mind that all User Codes and other programming changes made to the lock will be erased. So you’ll have to reprogram the lock using the default Programming Code.
Not sure how to factory reset a Brinks Digital Lock? Here’s how:
- Step 1: Remove the battery cover to find the R button (located a little above the thumb turn on the interior assembly).
- Step 2: With a pen or unfolded paper clip, press the R button for about 5 seconds or so—until you hear three long beeps.
Now your lock is reset to its factory default settings. Ensure you perform the Door Handing Detection to enable electronic functions. See how to do this above.
And if you’re not sure how to change the Programming Code and add new User Codes—after resetting the lock, see how to do that below:
How to Change the Default Programming Code on a Brinks Electronic Deadbolt
- Step 1: Enter the default Programming Code (0000) and then press the BRINKS button.
- Step 2: Press 4 and then press the BRINKS button.
- Step 3: Enter the new Programming Code and press the BRINKS button.
That’s all about changing the default Programming Code.
Note: Programming Code must be 4 to 8 digits.
How to Add New User Codes
- Step 1: Enter your Programming Code and then press the BRINKS button.
- Step 2: Press 1 and then press the BRINKS button.
- Step 3: Enter a new User Code (4-8 digits) and then press the BRINKS button to complete the process.
Repeat the same steps to add more User Codes.
So that’s some troubleshooting steps to try if your Brinks Digital Deadbolt eventually stops working.
Hope this article was helpful and you could fix the problem with your lock.
However, if the lock still doesn’t work after trying all the troubleshooting tips, call Brinks Digital Deadbolt Customer Service at this number 1-800-562-5625 for help.