D-Link Camera Not Recording to SD Card? (Solved)
If you’re having problems getting your D-Link camera to record to an SD card, this post is your go-to resource.
In the following paragraphs, we explain why this happens and what you can do to fix the problem. Let’s get started.
Here are some reasons your D-Link camera isn’t recording to your SD card:
- You haven’t set up the SD card in your D-Link camera account.
- Your SD card isn’t formatted.
- Your D-Link camera firmware is outdated.
Keep reading to see how to troubleshoot this issue.
D-Link Camera Not Recording to SD Card: Try These Troubleshooting Tips
1. Set Up the SD Card in Your D-Link Camera Account
Inserting an SD card into your D-Link camera doesn’t guarantee that the device will record videos to the SD card.
What this means is, the camera won’t automatically record to the SD once you insert it—unless you set up the SD card in your D-Link camera account.
So, if your D-Link camera isn’t recording to your SD card, chances are you haven’t set it up in your D-Link camera account.
Follow these steps to set up your SD card in your D-Link account:
- Type in the D-Link website address on a web browser (www.mydlink.com).
- Log in to your D-Link account (where you registered your camera). Then click on the camera that isn’t recording to the SD card.
- Next, tap the Settings tab at the top of the page. The Settings page will now load.
- When the Settings page appears, scroll down to the More Settings section and tap the Advanced Settings button.
- Now, a pop-up will appear, asking you to enter a username and password. Enter “admin” as the username and your camera’s original password as the password. Next, tap OK. This will send you to your camera’s configuration page.
- Click on the Setup tab at the top of the page.
- Then go to the left navigation bar and select SD Management. In this section, you have to format the SD card to make the camera aware of the SD card. So, click on the Format SD Card button on the SD Management page.
- The system will bring a new pop-up, asking you to confirm your action. Click on OK to continue. After a few seconds, you should get a message saying the formatting was successful.
- Next, go back to the navigation bar and select SD Recording.
- On the SD Recording page, check the box beside the SD Recording button to enable your camera to record videos to your SD card.
- Once you check the box, you’ll be presented with a list of options: Trigger By, Record Type, Recording Length, and SD card.
- Under Trigger By, select between 3 options: Motion, Schedule, and Always.
- Tap Motion if you want the camera to record videos every time it detects motion. Tap Schedule if you prefer your D-Link camera to record at a particular time of the day. But if you want your SD card to record videos throughout the day, select Always.
- The second option under the SD Recording section is Record Type. Record Type allows you to choose whether you want your camera to store recordings as snapshots or videos.
- Click Videos to continue.
- The next option in the SD Recording section is Recording Length, where you determine how long the D-Link camera will record the video. You can choose between 1-6 minutes.
- The last section is SD Card. Here, you can prevent your camera from filling up your SD card to maximum capacity. For instance, you may want your camera to leave about 200MB of unused space in the SD card. If so, click on 200 under SD Card. Your camera will automatically delete old videos to make space for new ones once there is only 200MB left in your SD card.
- Tap Save Settings at the bottom of the page to complete the process. You will get a message saying the settings have been saved.
So that’s all you need to do to set up your SD in your D-Link account. Your D-Link camera should start recording videos to your SD card now. If not, continue to the next step.
2. Format Your SD Card
While setting up the SD card in the D-Link camera account, you may have failed to format the SD card. Unfortunately, your D-Link camera will not recognize the SD card if you fail to format the SD card.
You can format your SD card in the mydlink app.
Take the following steps to format your D-Link Camera SD Card:
- Open the mydlink app on your phone.
- Then tap on the left navigation button and select Devices.
- Next, tap Camera.
- Select the camera with the SD card you want to format.
- Then tap the Settings icon at the bottom of the page.
- Now, select Storage.
- Tap the Format tab.
- Tap OK to delete all data stored on the SD card.
Now, the SD card is formatted, and it should work with your D-Link camera.
3. Update Your D-Link Camera Firmware
Is your D-Link camera still failing to record videos to your SD card? Then your camera’s firmware might be out of date.
Outdated D-Link Camera firmware may contain bugs that prevent the camera from recording videos properly.
To fix this problem, you need to update the D-Link camera’s firmware.
Follow the steps below to update your D-Link camera firmware:
- Go here to download the latest firmware version of your D-Link camera.
- Enter your D-Link camera’s IP address into a web browser. The IP address for most Dlink cameras is 192.168.0.20.
- Enter your username and password to sign in to your D-Link account.
- Tap Maintenance and select Firmware Upgrade.
- Tap Browse and select the firmware you just downloaded.
- Now tap the Upload button.
And that’s all you need to do to upgrade your D-Link camera’s firmware.
If you’re a visual learner, see how to update the firmware of your D-Link camera in the video below:
Your Dlink camera should start recording videos to your SD card once you finish upgrading the firmware.
However, if the problem persists, contact D-Link customer support for help.
To recap, if your D-Link camera isn’t recording to SD, check that the SD card is set up in your D-Link account. If that doesn’t help, format the SD card and update your D-Link camera’s firmware via the app.
You may also like to see how to set up a D-Link camera via mydlink app.