Not sure how to lock or unlock your Hornbill Smart Lock? If so, you want to keep reading, as I’ll show you how to do that in this post. Let’s dive in.
Generally speaking, you can lock/unlock a Hornbill Smart Lock lock by entering a passcode on the keypad, using a physical key, or via the TTLock app on your mobile device. To unlock via a passcode, you need to create a unique passcode, while unlocking via the TTLock app requires setting up the lock with the TTLock app. Let’s go into specific instructions.
How to Lock a Hornbill Smart Lock?
Here’s how to lock your Hornbill Smart Lock:
- Via the Keypad: Press and hold the # key on the keypad for about 3 seconds.
- Using the TTLock App: Open the TTLock app on your phone. Next, tap the Padlock icon to lock the door.
- Through Auto-Lock: You can enable the auto-lock feature that automatically locks your door after a few seconds when it closes. To activate auto-lock, open the TTLock app on your phone and click—Settings>Auto-Lock>Turn On, then set your preferred delay-time (5 -900 seconds).
- Using the Physical Key: Insert the key into the keyhole and then rotate it to the lock position to lock the door.
- Via Alexa: If you’ve set up your Hornbill Lock with Alexa, you can lock it via the Alexa app by tapping the Padlock icon or asking Alexa to lock the door (voice command). Example “Alexa, lock the front door”.
- Via Google Home: If your lock is paired with Google Home, you can ask Google Assistant to lock the door (voice command) or tap the Padlock symbol in the app to lock the door.
How to Unlock a Hornbill Smart Lock?
- Via the Keypad: Press # on the keypad, then enter your passcode and press #.
- Via the TTLock App: Open the TTLock app on your mobile device and tap the Padlock icon to unlock the lock.
- Using the Physical Key: Remove the key cover with a pin, then insert the key into the keyhole, and rotate it to the lock position.
- Via Google Home or Alexa: You can also ask Alexa or Google Assistant to unlock your door (hands-free) or unlock it through the respective apps. Note that you need to set up your lock with Alexa or Google Home to get this working.
You can also lock/unlock your Hornbill Lock on the interior assembly by rotating the thumb turn to the lock/unlock position.
So that’s the various ways to lock/unlock your Hornbill Lock.
If you’re not sure how to create access codes or set up the lock with the TTLock app, keep reading.
How to Set Up Your Hornbill Smart Lock with the TTLock App?
- Download the TTLock app from Apple App Store or Google Play Store—depending on the device you’re using.
- Launch the app and set up your TTLock account (if you already have a TTLock account, simply sign in).
- Turn on Bluetooth on your phone. Next, press any key on your lock (via the keypad) to keep it operative and visible to Bluetooth.
- Open the TTLock app, and tap Add Lock, then select Door Lock. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
So that’s all about setting up your Hornbill Smart Lock with the TTLock app, and you can now control the lock with the app.
But keep in mind that you can’t control your lock remotely (when out of Bluetooth range) with the above setup. To control your lock remotely (from miles away), you need to set up the lock with the TTLock app via Wi-Fi, and it requires a gateway.
How to Create Admin Passcode on Your Hornbill Smart Lock?
Here’s how to do that:
- Open the TTLock app on your phone, then scroll down and tap Settings.
- Tap Basic and then select Admin Passcode. Now follow the on-screen instructions to set up your passcode (4 to 9 characters).
You can also set up passcodes and share them with anyone you want to give access to your home while you’re away. Simply tap Generate Passcode in the app and follow the on-screen instructions to set up passcodes for your guest/family members.
Factory Resetting Your Hornbill Smart Lock
If you’ve lost your passcode or have some issues with your Hornbill Smart Lock, you can restore default settings on the lock and then set it up again.
Here’s how to reset a Hornbill Smart Lock:
- Remove the battery cover and remove one battery. Next, put the battery back in.
- Find the Reset button on the back of the interior assembly (a small black button located below the Thumb Turn).
- Press and hold the Reset button for about 15 seconds. This will reset the lock.
Hornbill Smart Lock Troubleshooting Tips and Related Questions
How can I unlock my Hornbill Smart Lock if the batteries are low?
Power the lock by touching the emergency battery terminal (located at the bottom of the lock) with a 9V battery. Next, unlock the door and ensure you replace the batteries.
More so, you can unlock the door with the physical—insert it into the keyhole and turn it to unlock the door.
Why is my Hornbill Smart Lock not working?
The batteries might be low or not properly installed. So check and replace the batteries and ensure you’re using the right batteries—4 AA high-quality alkaline batteries.
If the lock is still not working, perform a factory reset on it (see how to do this above). This should fix the issue.
Hornbill Smart Lock not connecting to the gateway/Wi-Fi?
This might happen if the gateway hasn’t received power, is not in pairing mode, or when your home Wi-Fi is set to a dual-band or the 5GHz Wi-Fi network band.
To fix this issue, ensure your gateway is plugged into a working outlet—closer to your lock (within 16ft). It will flash red and blue, showing it has received power and is ready to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
More so, ensure your phone is connected to your home Wi-Fi network. And make sure to set your router to broadcast only the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, as the gateway doesn’t work with the 5GHz band.
This should resolve the Wi-Fi connection issue. But if not, reset the gateway and your router, then try to connect again.
Does Hornbill Smart Lock work with Alexa?
Yes. Hornbill Smart Lock works with Alexa, and you can lock and unlock your door using voice commands or through the Alexa app. However, you need to connect the lock with Alexa before you can control it remotely through Alexa.
Does Hornbill Smart Lock work with Google Home?
Yes. Hornbill Smart Lock also works with Google Home for hands-free control. And you need to connect your lock with Google Home—to control it through Google Home app/voice command.
You may also like to see how to: