Are you looking to learn how to lock/unlock your Nest thermostat? You’re on the right page.
You can lock and unlock your Nest thermostat through the Settings menu on the thermostat. Other ways to lock and unlock the thermostat are on the Nest app and Google Home app.
If you want to learn how to take these steps in detail, keep reading.
Locking Your Nest Thermostat
You can either lock your Nest thermostat from the device itself, on the Google Home app, or on the Nest app.
Locking Your Nest Thermostat from its Screen
Follow these steps to lock your Nest thermostat from the thermostat itself:
- Press the ring on your thermostat to open the Quick View menu.
- Rotate the ring to the Settings option and tap on Select.
- Turn the ring to Lock.
- The thermostat will ask you if you want to lock the device. Press the thermostat’s ring to confirm the action.
- Now, you’ll need to enter your Lock code. Create a 4-digit PIN you can easily remember and input it on the thermostat’s screen.
- Enter the PIN again to confirm it. Please note that you might have to use the Nest app or Google Home app to unlock the thermostat if you forget your PIN.
- You can choose to lock your thermostat to Heat mode, Cool mode, or Heat-Cool mode.
- If you lock the device in Heat or Cool mode, you’ll first need to choose a temperature range before setting your PIN. This will allow other people to change the temperature on your thermostat within the range you’ve set.
- However, if you lock your thermostat in Heat-Cool mode, no one else will be able to adjust the set temperature on your thermostat.
- Press the ring on the thermostat and select Done. If you need to adjust your lock settings, tap on Change.
- Once you’ve finished locking the thermostat, a lock icon will appear at the bottom of the screen to confirm that the thermostat is locked.
Locking Your Thermostat via the Nest App
- Open your Nest app.
- Choose the Nest thermostat you want to lock.
- Then, click on the Settings icon at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings menu to find the Lock option. Then, select the option.
- Choose a PIN you won’t forget and input it into the app.
- Then enter the PIN again to confirm that you want to lock the thermostat.
- You can either choose to lock your thermostat in Heat or Cool mode. Whatever mode you use; you’ll need to set a temperature range on the device.
- Drag the slider on your phone’s screen to choose the lowest and highest temperatures for the thermostat.
- Once you’re satisfied with the settings, click on Lock at the bottom of the screen.
- You can confirm that you’ve successfully locked your thermostat by going to the thermostat’s Settings menu on the thermostat and scrolling to the bottom.
- If your thermostat is locked, you’ll see the Unlock option instead of the Lock option under Settings.
Locking your Thermostat with the Google Home App
- Open the Google Home app on your phone.
- Click on the name you’ve given your thermostat in the app.
- Then tap on the Settings icon.
- Click on Lock.
- Now, create a 4-digit PIN and enter it in the app.
- Tap on Next.
- You’ll see the Temperature Adjustment section. In this section, you can either set a temperature or choose a temperature range.
- To set a temperature, click on Set temperature.
- Enter the temperature you want the thermostat to retain in your home.
- Then, click on Next to finish locking your thermostat.
- If you want to choose a temperature range, tap on Range.
- Select the maximum and minimum temperatures you want your thermostat to maintain.
- Now tap on Next to complete the process.
Unlocking Your Nest Thermostat
You can also unlock your Nest thermostat from the thermostat itself, on the Nest app, or on the Google Home app.
Unlocking Your Thermostat from its Screen
- Press your thermostat’s ring. The screen will light up, and you’ll see the Lock icon at its bottom.
- Press the ring again. Then input the PIN you created when locking the thermostat.
- You’ll need to rotate your ring to enter each number in your PIN.
- Once you’ve entered the correct PIN, press the ring to confirm it.
The Lock icon will disappear from the screen, and you’ll be able to operate your thermostat again.
Unlocking Your Thermostat with the Nest App
- Locate the Nest app and open it.
- Click on the Nest thermostat you want to unlock.
- Then, click on the Settings icon at the top right-hand side of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page and click on Unlock.
Please note that you need to be online to unlock your Nest thermostat from the Nest app.
Unlocking Your Thermostat from the Google Home App
- Open the Google Home app on your phone.
- Click on the name of your Nest thermostat. Then tap on the Settings icon.
- Next, click on Unlock.
- Now confirm that you want to unlock the device.
Once you lock your Nest thermostat, no one will be able to change the temperature on the device without your consent.
Please note that some Nest thermostat models can’t be locked or unlocked.