So I decided to try the Assurance Wireless SIM card. Getting the SIM card was seamless, but I hit a wall when I tried activating the SIM.
I contacted the Assurance Wireless customer service for tips on how to fix the problem. Luckily, the advice I got from their customer representative helped me activate my Assurance Wireless SIM card.
In this article, I have carefully explained the steps to follow to fix your Assurance Wireless SIM activation problems.
First off, if you’re having issues getting your Assurance Wireless SIM card activated, check if you have sufficient network coverage in your area.
If there is strong network coverage in your area and you’re unable to activate the SIM, keep reading to see how to go about this.
Tips to Troubleshoot Assurance Wireless Activation Problems
Ensure that the Network Covers Your Area
Your activation process might have failed because the Assurance Wireless network is not available in your area.
To rule out this issue, you’ll need to check if the network covers your area. You can do this by searching for your location on the wireless coverage map placed on the Assurance Wireless website.
To access the wireless coverage map, enter www.assurancewireless.com/lifeline-services/checkavailability into your browser. You can then input the zip code for your area into the map to check if the Assurance Wireless network is available there.
If the network doesn’t cover your community, change your network.
However, if your location appears on the wireless coverage map, yet you can’t activate the SIM, continue to the next step.
Reboot Your Phone
A functional error in your phone might cause your Assurance Wireless SIM activation to fail. You can quickly resolve this problem by rebooting your phone (turning it off and back on).
Once your phone is back on, you should be able to activate your Assurance Wireless SIM. But if you can’t activate the SIM, proceed to the next step.
Clear Your Phone’s Cache
Another way to troubleshoot Assurance Wireless SIM activation problems is to clear your phone’s cache. Deleting the cache on your phone can resolve minor glitches that might affect the activation of your new SIM.
The guide below will show you how to clear your phone’s cache:
- Open your Settings app. Then click on Storage.
- Next, choose Apps.
- You’ll see a list of all the apps on your phone.
- Tap on the first app on the list.
- Click on the Clear Cache button.
- Repeat this process for all the other apps on the list.
- Go to your phone’s settings.
- Click on General. Then select iPhone Settings.
- A list of all the apps on your phone will appear.
- Search the list for the apps that use the most memory. Then click on each of these apps and tap on Offload app.
- The system will inform you it will delete your app, but your documents and saved information will remain. This option also clears your cache.
- Click on Offload app again.
If you can’t activate your Assurance Wireless SIM card after this, try the next tip.
Restart the Activation Process
You may encounter a network error while trying to activate your Assurance Wireless SIM. If this happens, the activation process might be unsuccessful.
You can resolve this issue by restarting the activation process.
Follow these steps to activate your Assurance Wireless network:
- Press and hold the power button on your phone to switch it on.
- Once you turn on the device, the Hands-Free activation process will automatically begin. Wait for this process to end before touching your phone.
- After completing the hands-free activation, your phone will update the PRL (Preferred Roaming List).
- An Ok button will appear when the update is complete. Click on the button to continue.
- You’ll now see a list of instructions on the screen. Follow these steps to update your phone’s firmware version.
- If your firmware is already updated, tap on Ok.
- After the update, your phone will go off and come back on. If your device stays on, please restart it.
- You’ll see a set of tips displayed on your screen. These tips will help you enter the network settings and personalize your device.
- Dial 611 and follow the voice prompts to complete the activation.
- Check your Assurance Wireless approval notification for your activation PIN. Then input the PIN when prompted.
Your Assurance Wireless activation issue should be resolved after this. However, if the problem still occurs, check the next step.
Factory Reset Your Phone
If none of the steps above fixes the issue, you might need to factory reset your phone. A factory reset will remove any problematic settings that might prevent the SIM card activation from working.
Please note that the factory reset will also delete all the data you’ve saved to your device. If you have any important information on your device, you might want to back up your phone before factory resetting it.
If you follow these steps carefully, your Assurance Wireless SIM activation problems should be resolved.
Make sure to confirm that you have sufficient coverage of the Assurance Wireless network in your area before trying all the other steps explained in this post.
If you can’t activate the SIM after trying all the steps, you’ll need to contact the Assurance Wireless customer service center.