Connecting the Meross Smart Plug to Wi-Fi is usually a seamless process. However, you may sometimes encounter connectivity issues, probably because of an unsupported Wi-Fi network band, incorrect setup method, and the like.
So, if you’re currently having issues connecting your Meross Plug to your home Wi-Fi, this article contains some troubleshooting tips to help you solve the problem. Let’s begin!
Meross Smart Plug Not Connecting to Wi-Fi: Try the Following Troubleshooting Tips
1. Check the Power Source
First off, you want to confirm that your plug has received power. So check the wall outlet where you plugged your Smart Plug and ensure there is a power supply.
Next, confirm that your Smart Plug is turned on—you’ll see a slow blinking light on the LED indicator if the plug has received power. If not, long-press the Power button for about 8 seconds until the indicator light is slowly alternating between amber and green. These flashes indicate your plug is in pairing mode, and you can proceed with the setup.
However, if your plug is turned on and blinking, but won’t connect to your Wi-Fi network, see the next troubleshooting steps.
2. Confirm That Your Wi-Fi Password is Correct
As you can see during the setup process, you’ll need to enter your Wi-Fi password to authorize the connection. And the plug won’t connect to your Wi-Fi network if you’re entering an incorrect password. So double-check and ensure your password is correct. If needed, reset your router and set a new password.
More so, if you have some special characters in your Wi-Fi network’s name, consider renaming it, as that may cause connectivity issues too. And if you’re switching to a different Wi-Fi network, you need to first reset your plug before connecting to another Wi-Fi network.
3. Check Your Wi-Fi Network Band
If you’re using a dual-band router, check Wi-Fi settings on the router to see if it’s set to run on a dual-band or the 5GHz network. If so, switch it to use only the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, as the Meross Smart Plug only supports a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network band.
Also, check that your Wi-Fi network signal strength is strong. You can check the network bars on your phone to see the signal levels. If low, move your router closer to the plug to improve the network signal.
You may also get a Wi-Fi repeater to boost the network signal.
4. Check and Disconnect Some Devices Connected to Your Router
Sometimes, connecting too many devices to your router at the same time can cause connectivity issues. Check if you have too many devices connected and disconnect some.
Next, try to connect your plug again to see if it works.
5. Reset the Plug
You should reset your plug if everything looks good, but you’re still having connectivity issues. Resetting the plug usually helps to fix internal bugs causing connection problems. Follow the steps below to reset your Meross Smart Plug:
- Step 1: Unplug the smart plug and plug it back in.
- Step 2: Press and hold the power button for about 8 seconds until the LED indicator blinks amber and green slowly.
Next, close the app on your phone and open it again. You can now start the setup process again and ensure you do it correctly. If you’re not sure how to set up the plug, follow the steps in the next paragraph.
How to Set Up Your Meross Smart Plug with the App
- Download the Meross app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Simply type Meross in the search box to find the app.
- Open the app and click “Sign up” to create a Meross account. If you already have a Meross account, tap “Sign in” and enter your existing account details.
- Tap the Plus icon (+) in the top right hand and then tap Smart Plug. There are about three “Smart Plug” on the list—ensure you check the icons and select the one that looks like your plug.
- The app will prompt you to confirm that the LED light is flashing. Check if it’s flashing and tap “Next”.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter your password. Ensure your Wi-Fi network is on a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
- Wait a few seconds for the app to connect to your plug and tap “Next”. Now rename your Smart Plug and tap “Done”.
You can now control devices plugged into the plug via the app remotely.
How do I connect my Meross Smart Plug to Alexa?
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device and tap the Menu icon in the top left-hand corner. Next, select “Skills and Games”.
- Tap the Search icon in the top right-hand corner and type “Meross”. Next, tap “Meross” from the search results.
- Tap “ENABLE TO USE” and sign in with your Meross account details.
- Select “Meross” and click on “Link Now”.
- Click on “Authorize” to complete the process.
You can now control devices plugged into the plug hands-free via Alexa.
How do I set up my Meross Smart Plug with Google Home?
- Open the Google Home app and tap the Plus (+) icon in the top left-hand corner. Next, tap “Set up device” and then click “Works with Google”.
- Tap the Search icon in the upper right-hand corner and type “Meross” in the search box. Next, tap “Meross” from the search results.
- Sign in with your Meross account information (email and password). Next, select “Meross” and then click on “Link Now”.
- Tap “Authorize” to complete the pairing with Google Home.
That’s how to connect your Meross Smart Plug to Google. Follow the instructions in the app to control the plug/devices plugged into it hands-free.
Why is my Meross Smart Plug flashing green?
Quick green flashes on your Meross Smart Plug indicate the plug is connecting to your Wi-Fi network, while the solid green light shows the plug is successfully connected to your Wi-Fi network.
And if you see a solid red light, it means there’s no internet connection.
Why is my Meross Smart Plug unreachable?
If the app says your plug is unreachable, chances are the plug is turned off or disconnected from Wi-Fi. So here’s how to troubleshoot this issue:
- Unplug your Meross Smart Plug from the wall outlet and plug it back in.
- Restart your router and ensure that it’s set to only broadcast the 2.4GHz network band.
- Check the app to see if the problem is fixed. If not, press and hold the Power button until the LED indicator blinks slowly. Next, return to the app and try connecting to your plug again.
How do I change the Wi-Fi on my Meross Smart Plug?
Unfortunately, there’s no direct way to change the Wi-Fi on a Meross Smart Plug through the app. To change the Wi-Fi, find the power button on the side of the device and press it down for a few seconds until the indicator light blinks rapidly. This will reset the plug, so you can now set it up again and connect to the new Wi-Fi.
Note that the reset will erase all previous settings, so you’ll need to set it up again as you did when you first just purchased it.
As you can see, there may be different reasons behind the Wi-Fi connection issues with your Meross Smart Plug. So ensure you try all the troubleshooting steps.
More so, check that your mobile device is compatible with the Meross Smart app/Plug. Update your mobile device to the latest firmware and ensure you’re using iOS version 14 or higher or Android 4.1 or higher.
If the issue persists, contact Meross Support for further help or consider replacing your Smart Plug.