BN-LINK Smart Plug Setup Instructions
Looking to set up your BN-LINK Smart Plug? You’re sure on the right page!
In this post, I’m going to walk you through the steps to set up your BN-LINK Smart Plug with the Smart Life app, Alexa, and Google Home. Let’s begin!
Setting Up Your BN-LINK Smart Plug
As you probably know, the BN-LINK Smart Plug comes with a built-in Wi-Fi that allows you to control devices plugged in it remotely. But you need to pair it with a compatible app, where you can control your devices from miles away.
The plug is compatible with the Smart Life app and here is how to set it up with the app:
- Download the Smart Life app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store to your phone. In either app store, type Smart Life in the search box to find the app.
- Launch the app and accept the terms and conditions. Next, you’ll have to create a Smart Life account. Tap “Sign Up” and follow the on-screen instructions to create your account. If you already have a Smart Life account, tap “Log In” and enter your existing credentials.
- Click the Plus icon (+) in the top right-hand corner of the homepage and select “Socket (Wi-Fi)”. A message will appear on the screen asking you to confirm that the indicator light on the plug is rapidly blinking.
- Plug in your BN-LINK Smart plug into a working wall socket. The plug should turn on automatically and start blinking rapidly. But if not, press and hold the Power button for about 5 seconds until the indicator light rapidly blinks.
- Now go back to the app and tap “Confirm indicator light rapidly blinks”. Next, enter your Wi-Fi password. Make sure your home Wi-Fi is on the 2.4GHz network band—the plug won’t connect to a 5GHz band.
- Wait for a few seconds for the app to connect to your device. Once the connection is via, a message will appear on your screen stating your device has been successfully added. Next, rename your device and click on “Done”.
The pairing is now complete, meaning you can control the plug/devices plugged into it through the app on your phone—remotely.
How to Connect BN-LINK Smart Plug to Alexa
The plug also works with Alexa. What this means is, you can pair it with the Alexa app and then control devices plugged into the plug via voice commands.
To connect your BN-LINK Smart Plug to Alexa, you’ll need the Amazon Alexa device and the app—installed on your phone. Also, you need to first set up the plug with the Smart Life app, as you’ll have to link your Smart Life account with Alexa.
That said, if you have all the requirements above, here’s how to connect your BN-LINK Smart Plug to Alexa:
- Open the Alexa app and tap the Menu icon in the upper left-hand corner. Next, tap “Skills and Games”.
- Tap the Search icon in the upper right-hand corner and type “Smart Life” and then tap “Smart Life” from the search results.
- Tap “ENABLE TO USE” and sign in with your Smart Life account details (email and password).
- Select “Smart Life” and tap “Link Now”.
- Now tap “Authorize” to complete the pairing.
That’s all you need to do to connect your BN-LINK Smart Plug to Alexa. So you can now control devices plugged into your BN-LINK Smart Plug hands-free via Alexa.
How to Connect BN-LINK Smart Plug to Google Home
Connecting to Google Home also works via the Smart Life app. So if you’ve successfully paired your plug with the Smart Life app, follow the steps below to connect it to Google Home for hands-free control:
- Open the Google Home app and click on the Plus (+) sign in the upper left-hand corner.
- Click “Set up device” and then click “Works with Google”.
- Click the Search icon in the top right-hand corner and type “Smart Life” into the search box to find the Smart Life app. Now tap “Smart Life” from the search results.
- On the new screen, sign in with your Smart Life account details (email and password). Next, select “Smart Life” and then tap “Link Now”.
- Now tap “Authorize” to complete the setup with Google Home.
You can now follow the on-screen instructions to control your BN-LINK Smart Plug/devices connected to it hands-free via Google Home.
BN-LINK Smart Plug Troubleshooting
Are you having trouble connecting your BN-LINK Smart Plug to your home Wi-Fi network? Here are some troubleshooting steps to try.
BN-LINK Smart Plug Not Connecting to Wi-Fi: How to Troubleshoot
- If you have a dual-band router, check the Wi-Fi settings to see if the network is set to use a dual-band or 5GHz band. If so, switch it to the 2.4GHz band. The plug doesn’t support a 5GHz Wi-Fi band, and using dual-band may automatically switch the network to 5GHz, hence connectivity issues.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct. If needed, reset the router and set a new password.
- If the router is positioned too far from your Smart Plug, move it closer or get a Wi-Fi extender to ensure sufficient Wi-Fi signals.
- Check that too many devices are not connected to your router at the same time. If so, disconnect some devices. Also, make sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network you want to connect your plug to.
- Reset the plug. To reset your BN-LINK Smart plug, unplug it from the wall socket and plug it back in. Next, long-press the power button until the LED indicator blinks quickly.
- Now start the setup process again and ensure the indicator light on the plug is blinking blue light rapidly during the setup process.
If it still doesn’t connect, switch to AP mode and try to connect again. See how to set up the plug via AP Mode below.
Setting Up Your BN-LINK Plug Via AP Mode
- Unplug the plug from the wall outlet and plug it back in. Press and hold the Power button for about 7 seconds until the indicator blinks rapidly and then slowly. Note that the plug is in regular mode if it blinks rapidly and in AP Mode if it blinks slowly.
- Close the app and launch it again. Now tap the Plus icon (+) in the top right-hand corner and then select “Socket (Wi-Fi)”. Next, tap “Other Mode” in the top right-hand corner and choose “AP Mode”.
- Confirm that the indicator light is flashing slowly and then choose your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and enter the password.
- Tap “Connect Now” and choose a Wi-Fi hotspot named “SmartLife-xxx”.
- Wait for the connection to complete and then tap “Completed”.
That’s how to set up your BN-LINK Smart Plug with the Smart Life app via AP Mode—if you couldn’t set it up through the regular Easy Mode.
You may also like to see how to set up Moko, Epicka, and Laneco Smart Plugs.
So that’s how to set up your BN-LINK Smart Plug and troubleshoot common connection issues.
If the connectivity issue persists, contact Century Products Customer Support (BN-LINK Plug manufacturer) for further help.