If you’re reading this post, my guess is you’re having problems linking your Smart Life account to Alexa, or you already linked but can’t get Alexa to control your devices.
If that guess was correct, you want to keep reading as I’ll share some troubleshooting tips in the following paragraphs. Let’s head right into it!
Troubleshooting Smart Life and Alexa Pairing Issues
So here’s what to do if Smart Life isn’t working with Alexa:
1. Try Adding Smart Life to Alexa Again
As mentioned, issues with Smart Life and Alexa could be difficulties adding Smart Life to Alexa (via the Alexa app) or already added, but can’t get Alexa to control your devices.
That said, if you’ve successfully linked your Smart Life account to Alexa, but Alexa won’t control your devices, skip to step 2. But if you’re unable to link Smart Life to Alexa, keep reading.
So if this is the case with you, chances are your setup process is wrong. Now follow the steps below to try linking Smart Life to Alexa again:
- Open the Alexa app on your phone and tap the Menu icon in the top left-hand corner (the menu icon looks like three horizontal lines). Next, tap Skills and Games.
- Tap the Search icon in the top right-hand corner and type in “Smart Life”, then tap Smart Life from the search results.
- Tap ENABLE TO USE and sign in with your Smart Life account details (email and password).
- Select Smart Life and tap Link Now.
- Now tap Authorize to complete linking.
And that’s all you need to do to add/link Smart Life to Alexa. You can now ask Alexa to turn on/off any of your devices in the Smart Life app. But if Alexa won’t perform the command, continue reading.
2. Ensure Your Devices Are Properly Added to the Smart Life App
If you’ve already linked your Smart Life account to Alexa, you should be able to control devices in your Smart Life app through Alexa. But if not, chances are the device/devices are not correctly added to the Smart Life app.
So, check that the particular device you want to control via Alexa is added to Smart Life and is active. You’ll need to open the Smart Life app on your phone and check the device to see if it’s active. If not, check that the device is turned on—probably on the wall socket where it’s plugged.
And if needed, reset the device and set it up with the Smart Life app again.
Next, try to ask Alexa to turn off/on the device to see if it works.
If you’re still having the same issue, continue to the next step.
3. Unlink and Relink Smart Life
If the issue persists, another troubleshooting step to try is unlinking and relinking Smart Life to Alexa—via the Alexa app.
But first, force quit the Alexa app on your phone and launch it back. Ensure you don’t close the app normally; force quit it. Also, force quit the Smart Life app on your phone and open it again.
Next, follow the steps below to unlink Smart Life from Alexa:
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device and tap the Menu icon in the upper left-hand corner (the menu icon looks like three horizontal lines). Next, tap Skills and Games.
- Tap Smart Life on the list. If you can’t see Smart Life on the list, tap the Search icon and type in “Smart Life”. Next, tap Smart Life from the search results.
- Tap Disable Skill to unlink Smart Life.
Now you’ll have to relink Smart Life to Alexa, then try asking Alexa to turn on/off any of your devices in the Smart Life app. If you’re not sure how to relink Smart Life to Alexa, see how to do that above (in the first troubleshooting step).
See the next step if the problem persists.
4. Update the Smart Life App and Alexa App
Not running the current version of Alexa or the Smart Life app could also cause some malfunctions. So if you’re still unable to get Alexa to control devices added to the Smart Life app, you want to check if you’re running the current versions of both apps.
If you use an iOS device, go to the App Store and search for Alexa and then Smart Life to see if there are new updates to the apps.
And for Android devices, go to Google Play Store and search for both apps to see if there are new updates. Ensure you update both apps if there are new updates.
Next, launch the apps and then try to get Alexa to control any of the devices to see if it works.
Did it work? Awesome! But if not, then you want to switch to another app like the Tuya app. This will require you to set up your device/devices with the Tuya app, then link Tuya to Alexa.
Virtually all smart devices that work with the Smart Life app are also compatible with the Tuya app. So download the app on your phone and add your devices. Next, link your Tuya account to Alexa and try to control your devices through Alexa.
As you can see, there may be several reasons behind this issue—Smart Life not working with Alexa. So ensure you try all the troubleshooting steps.
As mentioned, you may try to use another app if everything fails. More so, check and ensure your internet is stable as this could also cause communication issues between Alexa and Smart Life.
You may also like to read: