In this article, I have explained the steps you can take to fix TracFone data issues.
First off, if your TracFone data isn’t working, check that you don’t have a VPN running on your phone. You can also try rebooting your phone.
If the data connection issue persists after you’ve tried these tips, keep reading for more details on how to go about it.
Tips to Troubleshoot TracFone Data Issues
1. Switch off your VPN
While VPNs may be useful for hiding your location, they can also prevent your phone from accessing your cellular data network.
If you’re using a VPN, it might be the reason your TracFone data isn’t working. As such, you’ll need to turn off your VPN.
You should be able to connect to the internet after turning off your VPN. But if your TracFone data doesn’t work after this, move on to the next tip.
2. Reboot Your Phone
Another reason your TracFone data may not work is a glitch in your phone.
You can fix this issue by rebooting your phone (turning it off and back on). The reboot may eliminate the glitches in your device.
After rebooting your phone, open your browser and try visiting a website with your TracFone data connection.
If you can’t access the website, continue to the next tip.
3. Activate and Deactivate Airplane Mode
You can also troubleshoot your TracFone data connection issue by activating and deactivating Airplane mode on your phone.
Here’s how to do that:
- Open your Settings app.
- Then select Connections.
- You’ll see the Airplane Mode tab on the Connections page.
- Tap the switch on the tab to turn on Airplane Mode.
- Wait 5 minutes. Then click on the switch beside Airplane Mode again to turn it off.
If your TracFone data doesn’t work after this, try the next tip.
4. Remove and Re-insert Your SIM Card into Your Phone
If you can’t connect to the internet with your TracFone data, your SIM card may be out of place. Or maybe you placed it in the wrong position.
To fix this issue, you’ll need to remove and re-insert the SIM card into your phone.
Follow the steps below to apply this tip correctly:
- Locate the SIM slot by the side of your phone.
- Search for your SIM ejector pin inside your phone pack. If you can’t find the ejector pin, get an earring or a paperclip.
- Insert the tool into the pinhole.
- Pull out the SIM tray.
- Remove the SIM card.
- Study the SIM card for cracks. If you find one, get a new SIM.
- Use a clean piece of cloth to clean the SIM.
- Then re-insert the SIM into the tray and close the SIM tray.
- Now, turn on your phone.
Once the phone comes on, switch on your cellular data and check to see if your TracFone data connection is working. If it isn’t, check the next tip.
5. Update Your Phone’s Software
Your TracFone data may fail to work because your phone’s software is outdated.
Your phone relies on its software to run programs and applications. So, if the software is outdated, it may cause your phone to develop functional issues. One of such issues is poor data connectivity.
You can resolve this problem by updating your phone’s software.
Follow these steps to update your phone’s software:
Android Software Update
- Connect your phone to Wi-Fi.
- Click on Settings.
- Then select System Update.
- The newest Android software version will appear.
- Tap on Download and Install at the bottom of the page.
- You’ll see a list of steps now. Follow these steps to finish downloading your Android software update.
iPhone Software Update
- Connect your phone to a power outlet and turn on the device’s Wi-Fi.
- Tap on Settings. Then select General.
- Scroll to Software Update and click on it.
- You’ll see two updates: One option lets you stay on the current iOs version and receive essential security updates; the other option will upgrade your phone to the latest iOs version.
- Click on Download and Install under the update you prefer.
- Then tap on Install Now to install the update immediately.
After installing the update, restart your device and turn on cellular data to see if the phone can connect to the Internet.
Factory Reset Your Phone
If none of the steps above fixes your TracFone data connection issue, you might need to factory reset your phone. A factory reset will delete everything in your phone’s internal storage. So, it’s best to back up all important information before the factory reset.
After resetting your phone, turn on your cellular data and try connecting to the internet.
You should be able to visit your favorite websites now.
If your Tracfone data doesn’t work after you’ve tried these tips, contact Tracfone Support.
Before doing so, confirm that you have carefully followed all the steps highlighted above.
You can reach out to Tracfone customer care at 1-800-867-7183.