Vivint Thermostat Not Responding to App? [Quick Fix]
The Vivint thermostat works fine. However, you may experience some malfunctions sometimes—such as the “not responding to the app” issue. Sounds like you? Then keep reading.
In this post, I’ve explained the reasons behind this problem and how to go about it. Let’s get started.
Here are some reasons your Vivint thermostat isn’t responding to the app:
- The thermostat has lost power.
- Your Vivint app is out of date.
- Your thermostat has encountered a connection error.
That said, let’s now look at how to go about this problem.
How to Fix ‘Vivint Thermostat Not Responding to App’ Issue
1. Check that the Thermostat Has Received Power
The Vivint app won’t be able to reach your thermostat if it’s turned off. So, if your Vivint thermostat is not responding to the app, chances are the device is turned off.
Check whether your Vivint thermostat is turned off. If so, the batteries might be low or not inserted properly. Remove the batteries and reinsert them. If it doesn’t turn on, replace the batteries—ensure you only use non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.
If your thermostat has received power but is still not responding to the app, continue to the next step.
2. Update Your Vivint App
Issues like this may also happen because you’re using an outdated version of the Vivint app. Check and update the app—if there are new updates.
Here are the steps to follow to update your Vivint app:
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android phone to find the Vivint app. If you use an iPhone, you can find the Vivint app in the App store.
- Tap on the search bar and enter “Vivint app”.
- Click on the Vivint app in the search results. This will take you to the download/update page.
- Tap the Update button at the top of the screen to update the app.
Now try to operate your thermostat via the app to see if it works. If not, continue to the next step.
3. Refresh Your Vivint Thermostat’s Connection
If your Vivint thermostat is still not responding to the app, another fix to try is to refresh the thermostat’s connection. You can do this via your Vivint panel.
If you’re not sure how to do this, follow the steps below:
- Turn on your Vivint control panel.
- Enter your pin to disarm the system. This will take you to the home screen.
- Click on the Menu icon on the home screen. The Menu icon is the 3-dot symbol at the bottom of the page.
- Next, click on General on the Smart Home Settings page.
- Now input your pin.
- Click on Connectivity and select Z-wave.
- Select Refresh Z-Wave Connectivity.
- Now tap Check to refresh the Vivint thermostat’s connection to the control panel.
4. Reboot Your Vivint SkyControl Panel
If none of the above tips help, you can try rebooting the Vivint control panel.
Here’s how to reboot the Vivint SkyControl panel:
- Enter your pin into the SkyControl Panel to disarm the system.
- Click on the Menu icon at the bottom of the home screen.
- You’ll be taken to the Smart Home Settings page. Select Devices on this page.
- Next, enter your pin again.
- Now, select Displays.
- A list of panels will appear. Tap the panel where your Vivint thermostat is located.
- Now, click Reboot and tap Yes to confirm that you want to reboot the control panel.
Next, check to see if the thermostat is now responding to the app. If not, try the next fix.
5. Update Your Vivint Panel Firmware
Sometimes, this issue may not come from the app or the thermostat itself, but from the Vivint control panel.
Your Vivint panel may malfunction if the firmware version is outdated. As you probably know, Vivint releases new firmware versions periodically to maintain reliable operation.
So, you’ll need to check and update the firmware version of your Vivint panel.
Follow the steps below to do this:
- On your Vivint panel Home screen, tap the 3 dots to open the menu.
- Select General and enter your pin.
- If your Vivint panel is running the latest firmware version, it will show on the screen — “Panel is up to date.” If not, you’ll see the current firmware version beside or next to Software Update. Click on it and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.
After the upgrade is complete, go back to the Vivint app on your phone and check if the thermostat is now responsive.
So that’s how to get your Vivint thermostat to respond to the Vivint app.
However, if your Vivint thermostat doesn’t respond to the app after you’ve tried all the tips suggested in this article, contact Vivint Support and report your issue.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot connection issues with the Vivint thermostat and Vivint Doorbell.