How Do I Format an SD Card for Wyze Base Station?
If you’re not sure how to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station, we’re here to help.
In the following paragraphs, we’ll walk you through the steps to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station. Let’s get started.
How to Format an SD Card for Wyze Base Station?
You can format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station using a Windows computer or Mac. Let’s start with how to do this on a Windows computer.
Follow the steps below to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station via a Windows computer:
- Remove the SD card from the Base Station (if it is already inserted into the Base Station).
- Plug the SD card into your computer. If your computer doesn’t have an SD card port, you’ll need to get an adapter.
- Now open your computer’s file browser. You will see the SD card listed in the navigation panel. If you don’t see it, it means your computer isn’t reading it. Remove it and plug it back in.
- Right-click on the SD card. Then select Format from the menu.
- Now select the Format Type. If your SD card is 32GB or below, select FAT32 as the Format Type. For SD cards larger than 32GB, select exFAT.
- Now tap Start and wait for the formatting to complete.
So that’s how to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station through a windows computer. Now let’s look at how to format via a Mac.
If you’re a Mac user, here’s how to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station:
- Remove the SD card from the Base Station (if already inserted). Next, insert the SD card into your Mac—you’ll need an adapter if your device has no SD card slot.
- Use the Go menu on the Finder bar to access Utilities. Now find Disk Utility under the Utilities
- Select the microSD card from the left-hand menu. Next, scroll to the Erase tab in the right-hand field (the main panel).
- Now you’ll be prompted to select Format Type. If your SD card is 32GB or smaller, select FAT32. If it is larger than 32GB, select exFAT.
- Name the title field or leave it blank. Next, press the Erase button and select Erase from the popup.
- Wait a few seconds for the process to complete.
- Now the SD card is formatted and you can now insert it into your Wyze Base Station.
Note: Ensure you don’t remove the SD card from your windows computer or Mac until it is fully formatted—to prevent it from getting corrupted.
What does an SD card do in the Wyze Base Station?
The SD card in your Wyze Base Station serves as a physical backup for your Wyze Outdoor Cam recordings.
That is, while the recordings in your Wyze Outdoor Cam are stored in the cloud, the SD card also stores them—as additional backup.
What is the format for Wyze Base Station SD card?
The format to choose depends on the storage capacity of the SD card.
If the SD card is 32GB or smaller, the format is FAT3. And if the SD card is larger than 32GB, the format is exFAT.
Wyze Base Station SD card not detected; what do I do?
The Wyze Base Station may not recognize/detect an SD card if it’s not formatted.
To fix this problem, remove the SD card from the Base Station and format it. Then reinsert it into the Base Station and restart the Base Station.
You can format the SD card on a Windows computer or Mac. Follow the instructions above to do this.
The Wyze Base Station won’t detect your SD card if you don’t format it properly. Before inserting an SD card into your Wyze Base Station, ensure you format it.
Of course, this post contains the guidelines to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station—follow the steps carefully to format an SD card for your Wyze Base Station.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot connection issues in Wyze Outdoor Cam and Ring Contact Sensor.