Not sure why your Ring doorbell doesn’t alert you or record videos when you receive deliveries at your door? Read on to find out why the device fails to detect these deliveries and how to fix the issue.
Your Ring doorbell camera may not pick up your deliveries because of the following reasons:
- Your Ring doorbell’s motion frequency is too low.
- You didn’t set up your motion zones correctly.
- Your deliveries happen outside your motion schedule.
- Your Ring doorbell camera doesn’t cover the area where you pick up deliveries.
- The doorbell camera is disconnected from your Wi-Fi network
- Push notifications are disabled on the Ring app.
- Your mobile phone is faulty.
Keep reading to see what you can do to get your Ring doorbell camera to detect your deliveries.
Ring Doorbell Camera Not Picking Up Deliveries: Try These Troubleshooting Tips
1. Adjust Motion Frequency on Your Ring Doorbell Camera
Your Ring doorbell camera may fail to capture deliveries because your motion frequency is too low.
Depending on the motion frequency settings, your doorbell camera may notify you of every motion or take short breaks after each motion detection alert. At the lowest frequency, your Ring doorbell camera will not detect any motion until it completes a long break after the last notification.
If your doorbell camera doesn’t pick up your deliveries, your deliveries may be occurring when the Ring doorbell camera is taking a break.
So, one of the fixes to try if your Ring doorbell isn’t picking up deliveries is to increase its motion frequency to the highest rate.
Here’s how to do that:
- Open your Ring app
- Click on the Menu icon (three lines) at the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Devices.
- Choose your Ring doorbell camera.
- Click on the Motion Settings tab.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Under Motion Frequency, you’ll see three options: Frequently, Regularly, and Periodically.
- Choose Frequently to keep your motion frequency at the highest level.
- Finally, click on Save at the top of the screen to apply your changes.
So that’s how to increase motion frequency on your Ring doorbell camera, and it should fix the problem.
However, note that setting your Ring doorbell’s motion frequency to the highest level can shorten its battery life.
If the problem persists after trying this fix, continue to the next step.
2. Add Your Delivery Pickup Area to Your Motion Zone
The Ring app lets you set the areas where you want the doorbell camera to detect motion. These areas are called motion zones and are often used to reduce false motion alerts.
If your deliveries happen outside these motion zones, your Ring doorbell camera won’t detect them. You can fix this issue by adding your delivery pick up areas to your Motion Zones.
Follow these steps to include your delivery pickup area in the Motion Zones on your Ring doorbell camera:
- Open the Ring app on your phone/tablet.
- Tap on the Menu icon at the top of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Motion Settings.
- Choose Motion Zones.
- Next, click on the Add Zone button on the page.
- The camera’s view of your house will appear.
- Use the points on the image to expand your motion zones.
- Tap on Save to complete the process.
3. Eliminate Motion Schedules
The Ring App offers the Motion Schedule feature, which lets you turn off motion at a particular period to avoid receiving motion alerts.
For instance, you may switch off motion detection for 4 pm if you know your kids arrive home at that time.
If your deliveries happen when you activate Motion Schedule, your Ring doorbell camera won’t capture them.
To troubleshoot this issue, you may need to eliminate motion schedules. Since you might not be able to tell when you’ll receive deliveries, it’s best to turn the Motion Schedule feature off.
Take the following steps to turn off Motion Schedule in the Ring app:
- Click on the Menu icon at the top of your screen.
- Choose Devices.
- Select your Ring doorbell camera.
- Tap on Motion Settings.
- Click on Motion Schedule.
- You’ll see a list showing all the times you’ve turned on Motion Schedules.
- Toggle the switch button beside all the times to turn Motion Schedule off.
- Finally, click on Save and exit the app.
4. Reinstall Your Ring Doorbell Camera in Another Location
The view of your Ring doorbell camera may not cover the area where you pick up deliveries due to the location where you set it up.
If you want to determine whether your camera’s view covers the delivery pickup area, go to the Motion Zone section on the Ring app. You may have to re-install your doorbell camera in a different location if you don’t see your delivery pick up area in the view. While doing this, ensure that the camera will cover the place where you receive deliveries.
To remove your Ring doorbell camera, hold the device by the bottom and carefully pull it out of the wall. Then, place it in the new location you’ve chosen.
5. Move Your Wi-Fi Router Closer to Your Ring Doorbell Camera
Your Ring doorbell may disconnect from your Wi-Fi if your router is too far away from the doorbell. When this happens, your doorbell camera won’t capture your deliveries or record videos of them.
If you suspect that the distance between your Ring doorbell camera and the Wi-Fi router is too much, bring the router closer to the doorbell camera.
Your Wi-Fi router shouldn’t be more than a room away from where your Ring doorbell camera is located.
6. Reset Your Wi-Fi Router
Is your Ring doorbell camera still disconnected from your Wi-Fi network after you’ve moved the device closer to your router? Then, your Wi-Fi connection may be faulty. So you may need to reset the router.
Follow these steps to reset your router:
- Locate the reset button on your Wi-Fi router. Your router’s reset button should be at the rear or bottom of the device.
- Press the button with a paper clip. Then, hold the button for 30 seconds.
- Now, remove your hand from the button.
- Your router should turn back on after this.
Once your router is on, connect your phone to your Wi-Fi to test the connection. If you can browse the internet using your Wi-Fi network, the connection has been restored. You can then reconnect your Ring doorbell camera to your Wi-Fi network.
Your Ring doorbell camera should start picking up deliveries once it is connected to your Wi-Fi network.
7. Enable Push Notifications
Your Ring doorbell camera may be sending motion alerts to your phone during deliveries. However, you might not see them if you aren’t on the Ring app. If you want to see motion alerts even when you aren’t logged in to the Ring app, you have to enable Push Notifications on the app.
The following guide will help you activate push notifications from your Ring app:
- Open your Ring app and log into your account.
- Select Account, then select Control Center.
- Tap on Notifications. Under Notifications, select Browser Notifications.
- Finally, tap the Notifications button to toggle the switch to the ON position.
You will now receive motion alerts even if you are not on the Ring app.
8. Replace Your Mobile Phone
If you still don’t receive motion alerts from your Ring doorbell camera when the delivery agent arrives at your door, your phone/tablet might be faulty.
This means that you may have to buy a new phone, download the Ring app again, and link the mobile device to the app.
The fixes in this post should help you fix delivery detection issues with your Ring doorbell camera. Ensure you apply the steps correctly.
However, if the problem continues after trying all the tips in this post, try contacting Ring support for help.