Wyze Outdoor Camera Not Connecting (How to Troubleshoot)
If your Wyze Outdoor Camera won’t connect to your Base Station/Wi-Fi, and you’re not sure how to go about it, keep reading.
In this post, you’ll learn why this is happening and what you can do to resolve the problem. Sounds like you? Then let’s head right into it.
First off, here are some reasons your Wyze Outdoor Camera isn’t connecting to the Base Station:
- The camera is too far away from the Base Station.
- Low battery power.
- Your Wyze Outdoor Camera is running on an outdated firmware version.
That said, let’s look at the troubleshooting steps for this problem.
How to Fix Wyze Outdoor Camera Connectivity Issues
1. Reboot Your Wyze Base Station
If your Wyze Outdoor Camera isn’t connecting to your Base Station, the first troubleshooting step to try is rebooting the Base Station.
Rebooting your Base Station will give your camera another chance to reconnect.
Follow these steps to reboot your base station:
- Remove the Base Station’s plug from its power outlet.
- Wait for 10 seconds.
- Then, insert the plug back into the power outlet.
- Keep watching your Base Station until the light on the device turns solid blue.
- You have finished rebooting your Base Station, and your Wyze Outdoor Camera should reconnect to the Base Station in seconds.
If the camera displays a solid blue light after some seconds, it has successfully connected to the Base Station.
In some cases, the camera may still show offline in the Wyze app even when there is a solid blue light on the device. When this happens, check if the solid blue light on the camera is blinking.
If the blue light on your camera is flashing, the Wyze Outdoor Camera is taking longer than usual to connect to the Base Station. Wait a few seconds more for the camera to connect to the Base Station.
If this fix doesn’t help, continue to the next step.
2. Reduce the Distance Between Your Camera and the Base Station
Your Wyze Outdoor Camera won’t connect to your Base Station if the signal strength between both devices is low. This often occurs when the camera is too far away from the Base Station.
If your Wyze Outdoor Camera isn’t connecting to your Base Station, check the signal strength. You can do this by clicking on the Base Station on the home screen of your Wyze app.
The signal strength of the paired devices is indicated by 3 bars. If only one bar is full, the signal strength is low. Strong signal strength is depicted by three full bars.
Once you have confirmed that the signal strength between your Wyze Outdoor Camera and Base Station is low, move them closer to each other. Wyze recommends placing the devices within 30 feet of each other. But if there are walls between your Wyze Outdoor Camera and Base Station, the space between them should be less than 30 feet.
Did your camera connect to the Base Station after trying this fix? If not, keep reading.
3. Charge the Battery in Your Wyze Outdoor Camera
The Wyze Outdoor Camera requires power to connect to your Base Station. This power is sourced from the battery. So, when the battery is low, it may not connect to the Base Station.
If your Wyze Outdoor Camera isn’t connecting to the Base Station, check if the battery is low. To check your camera’s battery level, open your Wyze app. Then, scroll through your Wyze app’s home screen until you find your camera’s name. Your Wyze Outdoor Camera’s battery level is displayed directly below the camera’s name.
After confirming that the camera battery is low, you’ll need to charge the device.
Here’s how to charge your Wyze Outdoor Camera:
- Find the power cable in the camera’s package.
- Plug one end of the wire into the Wyze Outdoor Camera.
- Then, plug the other end into your Base Station.
- Ensure that your Base Station is plugged into a power outlet. The Wyze Outdoor Camera may not charge if the Base Station power cable is not connected to a power outlet.
- Wait for about four hours for the camera to reach a full charge. Your Wyze Outdoor Camera should connect to your Base Station once it is fully charged.
4. Download the Latest Firmware Version for the Wyze Outdoor Camera
If your Wyze Outdoor Camera is still not connecting to your Base Station, the camera’s firmware version may be outdated.
That said, you’ll need to update your camera’s firmware to get the device to reconnect to the Base Station.
Follow the steps below to download the latest firmware version for your Wyze Outdoor Camera:
- Open the Wyze app.
- Then, tap on Account.
- Next, choose Firmware Upgrade. All your Wyze devices will now appear.
- Click on the Update button beside your Wyze Outdoor Camera to upgrade your current firmware version.
5. Power Cycle Your Wyze Outdoor Camera
If none of the tips suggested above has made your Wyze Outdoor Camera connect to your Base Station, try to power cycle it. Your camera may connect to your Base Station after you finish power cycling it.
Here’s how to power cycle your Wyze Outdoor Camera:
- Turn off the power switch at the back of your Wyze Outdoor Camera. If the camera is connected to a power outlet, unplug the camera’s power cord from the outlet before turning off the switch.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Now, turn the power switch back on.
While performing a factory reset usually helps with connectivity issues, note that you can’t factory reset your Wyze Outdoor Camera.
If you can’t get the camera to connect to the Base Station after trying all the tips here, contact Wyze Support and report your issue.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot connectivity issues in Eufy Camera.