In this post, we’ll show you how to troubleshoot your Arlo Camera (Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, 3 and 4) that isn’t charging. Let’s dive in.
First off, your Arlo camera may not charge because of the following reasons:
- You are using the wrong power adapter
- You didn’t insert your power cord tightly into the power adapter.
- The USB port is not properly covered.
- Your Arlo camera battery or power adapter is malfunctioning.
- Your camera isn’t working properly.
In the following paragraphs, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot these issues.
How to Fix Arlo Camera Charging Issues
Check that You Are Using the Correct Power Adapter
If your Arlo Camera isn’t charging, you might be using the wrong power adapter to charge the device. That said, you’ll need to ensure that you’ve connected your camera to the correct adapter.
An Arlo power adapter contains the following information:
- A NETGEAR or Arlo logo.
- A lightning bolt icon.
- Text showing that the output from the adapter is 9V or 11amps.
If you’ve confirmed that you are using an Arlo power adapter, yet the camera isn’t charging, move on to the next step.
Insert Your Power Cord Properly into the Power Adapter
Your power cord links your Arlo camera to your power adapter. So, if the power cord isn’t properly inserted into the adapter, your camera won’t charge.
If your camera isn’t charging, remove the power cord from the adapter. Then, reinsert the cable into the power adapter. Ensure that the cord fits snugly into the adapter.
You should also check that the cord is properly connected to your camera.
If your Arlo camera doesn’t charge after this, try the next tip.
Ensure that the USB Port Cap on the Camera is Properly Sealed
If the USB port on your Arlo camera isn’t properly covered, it may drain your camera battery. As a result, your camera may never get a full charge.
If your camera isn’t charging, check that you’ve sealed the USB port cap. But if the port cap keeps popping out, the USB ports might be filled with debris.
In that case, you’ll need to clean the ports. To do this, dampen some cotton wool with an alcohol-based sanitizer. Then rub the damp wool over the USB port.
Your USB port cap will stay in place now, and your camera should start charging.
However, if the Arlo camera isn’t charging, proceed to the next tip.
Related: How to Fix Arlo Camera Syncing Issues.
Remove and Reinsert Your Battery and Power Adapter
Your Arlo camera might not charge because your battery or power adapter is malfunctioning.
Follow these steps to fix this issue:
- Remove your battery from your camera. To do this, press the round button beside the charging port. Pull out the camera from its container and remove the battery.
- Next, disconnect your power adapter from the power outlet.
- Wet a piece of cotton wool with an alcohol-based sanitizer. Then rub the damp cotton wool over your battery port to extract dirt.
- Reinsert your battery into your camera.
- Now, re-plug your power adapter into your power outlet.
Your camera may start charging after this. However, if you notice that the camera still isn’t charging, proceed to the next tip.
Change Your Power Adapter
If your Arlo camera isn’t charging, your power adapter might be faulty.
To check if your power adapter is defective, go into your Arlo app. Then check if the app is displaying this message: ‘The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo power adapter’.
If you see this message in your Arlo app, you’ll need to buy a new Arlo power adapter.
But if your Arlo camera doesn’t charge after you’ve changed your power adapter, continue to the next tip.
Replace Your Camera Battery
Another reason your Arlo camera might not be charging is a problematic battery.
In that case, you’ll need to change your battery. But first, you should confirm that the battery is faulty.
To know if your Arlo camera battery is faulty, insert the battery into another Arlo camera. If the battery doesn’t charge when you install it in the other camera, then you’ll have to replace the battery.
Take the following steps to replace the battery in your Arlo camera:
- Click on the circular button next to the charging port.
- Then, separate your camera from its housing. Then pull out the battery.
- After a few seconds, reinsert your new Arlo battery into the camera.
- Push the camera into its housing.
Your Arlo Pro Camera should charge now.
On the other hand, your battery may charge when inserted into another camera. In that case, continue to the next tip.
Reset Your Camera
If your Arlo camera doesn’t charge after you’ve tried all the steps above, the camera might not be working properly.
You can fix this issue by resetting the camera.
The guide below will show you how to reset your Arlo camera:
- Press and hold the Sync button on your camera for 15 seconds.
- An amber light should start flashing from the camera. Release the button when you see this light.
- You have reset your camera.
Factory resetting your camera will remove all the settings you’ve saved on the device. So, you’ll need to re-add the camera to your Arlo account.
Follow these steps to re-add your Arlo camera to your Arlo account:
- Open the Arlo app. Then click on Add New Device at the bottom of the screen.
- You’ll be taken to the Select Your Arlo Device page. The tap Cameras.
- Next, click on Others and choose Arlo.
- Your Base Station will appear now. Select the Base Station and tap Continue.
- You’ll now be asked to insert your batteries into the camera.
- Since you’ve already done that, skip this step by clicking on Continue.
- Press and hold the SYNC button for 2 seconds. Then release the button.
- A blue light will start flashing on your camera. Tap Continue when you see this light.
- Arlo will begin to search for your camera. The app will display the camera on its screen when it finds the device.
- Enter a name for your camera. Then click on Continue.
- Now, click on Finish to complete the setup.
Your Arlo Pro Camera should start charging after you’ve reset and re-added the device to your Arlo account.
However, if the device fails to charge, contact Arlo Support.
If your Arlo camera isn’t charging, check that you are using the correct power adapter. Then insert your power cord properly into the adapter. You’ll also need to ensure that the USB port cap on the camera is well sealed.
If these tips fail to work, try removing and re-inserting the camera battery and adapter. In addition, changing your power adapter or the battery may fix the issue.
But if your Arlo camera doesn’t charge after this, reset the camera. Contact Arlo Support if the camera fails to charge after a reset.