If you’re having issues with your Wyze Cam SD card (not detected), this post contains some troubleshooting tips to help fix the problem. Let’s dive in.
Your Wyze camera may fail to recognize your SD card because of the following reasons:
- You didn’t install the SD card properly.
- Your SD card is incompatible with the Wyze camera.
- The storage capacity of your SD card is too high.
- You haven’t formatted your SD card.
- The SD card is damaged.
- Your Wyze cam firmware is outdated.
- The Wyze app on your phone requires an upgrade.
- Your camera isn’t working properly.
Keep reading to learn how to fix these issues.
How to Fix a Wyze Camera that Won’t Recognize SD Card
Insert Your SD Card Properly
Your Wyze camera won’t detect your SD card if you don’t insert it into the device properly. If your camera doesn’t recognize your SD card, check if you have installed it properly.
Follow the outline of your SD card slot to install the card in the correct manner. The bent part of your SD card should be on the same side as the round corner on the card slot.
Can your Wyze camera recognize the SD card now? If not, go to the next tip.
Ensure Your SD Card is Compatible with the Wyze Camera
If your Wyze camera doesn’t recognize your SD card, the SD card might be incompatible with the camera.
One common example of SD cards that do not work with Wyze cameras is the SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) SD card. So, if your SD card is a SDHC variety, you’ll need to change it.
When getting a replacement for your SD card, it’s best to go with Wyze, PNY, or Samsung SD cards. These SD card brands always work with Wyze cameras.
If your Wyze camera doesn’t recognize your SD card after this, check out the next tip.
Switch to an SD Card with Lower Storage Capacity
Your Wyze camera may not recognize your SD card if it has a high storage capacity. Usually, Wyze cameras find it difficult to detect SD cards with above 64 GB of storage capacity.
So, if your SD card contains over 64 GB of memory, you’ll need to replace it with a lower-capacity card.
But if your camera still can’t recognize your SD card after switching to a lower capacity option, move on to the next step.
Related: Wyze Cam Not Recording Motion.
Format Your SD Card in the Wyze app
Your Wyze camera won’t recognize your SD card if you haven’t formatted the card in the Wyze app.
Wyze cameras only work with SD cards that have been formatted using the FAT32 system. This FAT32 formatting system is available on the Wyze app.
That said, you’ll need to apply the FAT32 formatting system to your SD card before the camera can recognize the card.
Take the following steps to format your SD card in the Wyze app:
- Ensure that your SD card is already inserted into the camera.
- Open the Wyze app.
- Tap your Wyze camera.
- Then click on the Settings icon on your camera.
- Next, tap Event Settings.
- Select Manage SD Card.
- Now click on the Format button to format the SD card.
Your Wyze camera should recognize your SD card after formatting the card. But if the camera doesn’t detect the SD card, go to the next tip.
Get a New SD Card
Your Wyze camera may not recognize your SD card because the card is damaged. As such, you’ll need to replace the SD card.
But before you dispose of your SD card, confirm if the card is actually faulty. You can do this by inserting your SD card into your computer. If the computer doesn’t recognize the SD card, the card might be damaged. As a result, you’ll need to change the car.
However, if your computer can detect the SD card, the issue might be from another element in the camera.
Continue to the next tip to find another way to resolve the issue.
Upgrade Your Wyze Camera Firmware
If your Wyze camera firmware is outdated, the camera may not recognize your SD card. There might be a glitch in the old firmware causing problems in the camera.
To fix this issue, you’ll need to update your camera firmware.
Follow these steps to update your Wyze camera firmware:
- Open your Wyze app.
- Click on your Wyze camera.
- Then tap the Settings icon at the top of the camera.
- Select Device Info.
- Then select Firmware. You’ll see the latest firmware version.
- Click on the newest firmware version to upgrade your Wyze camera firmware.
If your Wyze camera doesn’t detect your SD card after you’ve updated its firmware, try the next tip.
Update Your Wyze App
Bugs in your old Wyze app can prevent your Wyze app from recognizing your SD card.
You can resolve this problem by updating your Wyze app.
Here’s how to update your Wyze app:
- Launch your Google Play Store or App Store.
- Enter “Wyze app” in the search bar.
- Then tap the Wyze app in the search results. The system will direct you to the Wyze app download page.
- Click the Update button on the download page to update your Wyze app.
If this solution doesn’t work, don’t give up yet. The next solution may fix the issue.
Related: How to Fix Wyze Cam Connectivity Issues.
Reboot Your Wyze Camera
If your Wyze camera doesn’t recognize your SD card after you’ve tried several troubleshooting tips, the camera may not be working properly. In that case, rebooting the camera might resolve the problem.
That said, your camera is more likely to detect your SD card after a reboot if you remove your SD card first. After removing your SD card, you can power cycle the camera.
To reboot your Wyze camera, unplug your camera from your power outlet and wait for 30 seconds. Then, re-attach the camera’s plug back into the outlet.
Insert your SD card back into your camera after rebooting the device.
Your Wyze camera should detect your SD card now. However, if the camera still can’t recognize the SD card, check out the next tip.
Delete and Re-add the Wyze Camera to Your Wyze App
If your Wyze camera doesn’t recognize your SD card, the device may have encountered an issue. To resolve this problem, delete your camera from the Wyze app. Then, re-add the device to the app.
Here’s how to do that:
- Click on your Wyze camera. Then tap the Settings icon above the camera.
- Next, select Remove Device to delete your camera from the Wyze app.
- Close the Wyze app and open it again.
- Now, click on Home and tap the + icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select Add Device.
- Click on Cameras. Then select your Wyze camera model from the list of camera options.
- Plug in your camera into a power outlet.
- Click on Next.
- Then press the setup button at the bottom of the camera. You’ll hear “Ready to Connect.”
- Next, mark the box titled: I heard the words “Ready to Connect”.
- Click on Next.
- Then tap on your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and input the password.
- A QR code will appear in the app, and the system will ask you to scan it.
- Hold your Wyze camera in front of your phone screen.
- You’ll hear “QR Code Scanned, Please Wait from the camera.”
- After a few seconds, you’ll hear “Setup Completed.”
- Now go back to the app and mark the box that says I heard, “QR Code Scanned.” Then click Next and name your device.
- Tap Finish to complete the process.
After you’ve completed the setup process for your Wyze camera, it should be able to detect your SD card. But if the camera still doesn’t recognize your SD card, keep reading.
Get a New Wyze Camera
If your Wyze camera doesn’t recognize your SD card after you’ve tried all these tips, the camera may be broken. As such, you may need to get a new camera.
But if the only problem that the camera has is that it can’t recognize the SD card, find alternatives to the SD card. For instance, you could stick to saving all your videos on Cloud. Such videos will stay on your Wyze account even if you buy a new camera in the future.
If your Wyze camera can’t recognize your SD card, insert the SD card properly into the camera. Then ensure that the SD card is compatible with the camera. Other solutions you can try are switching to an SD card with lower storage capacity and formatting the SD card.
If the Wyze camera doesn’t recognize the SD card after this, get a new SD card. You can also update your Wyze app and firmware to fix this issue.
But if those tips don’t work, reboot the camera. Then delete and set up the camera again in your Wyze app.
If everything tails, consider getting a new camera or contact Wyze Customer Support and report the problem.