How to Change Wi-Fi on Kasa Smart Plug
Looking for tips to change the current Wi-Fi network and on your Kasa Smart Plug? If so, this post is your go-to resource. Keep reading to see how to do this.
First off, note that you can’t change the current Wi-Fi connected to your Kasa Smart Plug through the app or the device itself. To change the Wi-Fi on your Kasa Smart Plug, you’ll need to perform a factory reset on the device. Then set it up again and connect to a new Wi-Fi.
In the following paragraphs, I’ll show you how to reset your Kasa Smart Plug and other steps to take to connect your Kasa Smart Plug to a new Wi-Fi. Let’s dive in!
Changing the Wi-Fi on a Kasa Smart Plug
Here are the steps to follow to change the Wi-Fi on your Kasa Smart Plug:
1. Factory Reset the Plug
As mentioned earlier, the first step to change Wi-Fi on your Kasa Smart Plug is to perform a factory reset on the device. This will remove all existing settings (including the current Wi-Fi information), so you can reconnect the plug to another Wi-Fi network.
Follow the steps below to factory reset your Kasa Smart Plug:
- Ensure your Kasa Smart Plug is plugged into a working power outlet (and turned on).
- Find the Reset button at the top or the side of the plug. On some Kasa Smart Plugs, the reset button may be labeled control button.
- Press and hold the Reset button (for about 10 seconds) until an amber light flashes rapidly from the plug. The amber light shows the smart plug is reset and ready to connect to Wi-Fi.
- Once the amber light blinks, release the Reset button.
Now the device is reset, continue to the next step to see how to set up the plug and get it connected to a new Wi-Fi network.
2. Setup Your Kasa Smart Plug and Connect to a new Wi-Fi
After factory resetting the smart plug, you can now set up the device in the app and connect it to a new Wi-Fi.
Here’s how to set up your Kasa Smart Plug:
- Ensure your smartphone (where the Kasa app is installed) is connected to the new Wi-Fi network you want to connect the plug to.
- Plug your Kasa Smart Plug into a working outlet. Check that the plug is powered on.
- Open the Kasa Smart app on your phone. Then sign in to your cloud account (if you’re not already signed in).
- Next, click on the plus (+) icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap Add a Device. Then select Smart Plug.
- You’ll see a list of Kasa Smart Plug models. Tap your smart plug model to continue.
- Follow the instructions in the app to ensure your Smart Plug is turned on and is in pairing mode.
- Pairing mode is usually indicated by a light on the device—alternating between orange and green.
- The next step is to pair your phone with your Kasa Smart Plug Wi-Fi.
- You can find the smart plug’s Wi-Fi network on your Wi-Fi Settings page. Usually, the Wi-Fi network looks like this: TP-Link_Smart Plug_****.
- Once you pair your phone with your smart plug’s Wi-Fi, the Kasa Smart app will connect to the plug.
- Now, the app will display all the Wi-Fi networks around you. Select your new Wi-Fi network from the list to connect it to your smart plug.
- If you don’t see your Wi-Fi network on the list, click on Join Other Networks. Then input your SSID (Wi-Fi network name) and Wi-Fi password.
- Your Kasa app is now connected to your smart plug. Give the plug a name and save it in the app.
So that’s all you need to do to change the Wi-Fi on your Kasa Smart Plug.
Did you experience any issues while trying to set up your Kasa Smart Plug? If so, keep reading to see how to go about connectivity issues.
Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues
If you’re having issues getting your Kasa Smart Plug to connect to Wi-Fi, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Reboot Your Router: You can do this by unplugging it from the power source and plugging it back in.
- Check that Your Router is Broadcasting on the 2.4GHz Band: Kasa Smart Plugs do not support the 5GHz Wi-Fi band, so your plug won’t connect to Wi-Fi if your Wi-Fi network is on the 5GHz band.
- Check for Updates: Check whether your plug’s firmware or the Kasa app requires upgrades and get them updated. This should fix the connection problem.
If you’re still having connection problems, see more details on troubleshooting connectivity issues in a Kasa Smart Plug.
So that’s how to change the Wi-Fi on your Kasa Smart Plug.
To recap, you can change the Wi-Fi on your Kasa Smart Plug by performing a factory reset on the plug. Then set up the plug again in the Kasa app and get it connected to a new Wi-Fi.