The HuTools Digital Deadbolt works fine. However, you might sometimes encounter problems with the lock.
Common problems you may face with this lock include:
- Keypad not responding.
- The lock doesn’t lock/unlock electronically — even after entering a valid code.
- The latch goes in and out when attempting to lock the lock electronically.
- Unable to add a User Code or change the Master Code
- The latch bolt doesn’t fully extend or retract.
Now let’s look at how you can troubleshoot these issues.
Troubleshooting the HuTools Digital Deadbolt
Keypad Not Responding
If your HuTools Lock keypad isn’t responding, here are some steps to take to resolve the problem:
- Remove all the batteries from the lock and disconnect the power cable.
- Press some random buttons on the keypad for one minute. Then let the lock sit for about two minutes before reconnecting the power cable wire and reinstalling the batteries.
- Now check the lock to see if the keypad is working properly. If not, low batteries could be the culprit.
- Get a new set of batteries and replace the old ones. Only use alkaline batteries and do not mix old batteries with new ones.
Your keypad should resume working properly after replacing the batteries.
The Lock Doesn’t Lock or Unlock Electronically
If your HuTools Lock is not locking or unlocking electronically (the lock won’t unlock even when you enter a valid code), start your troubleshooting by checking the batteries.
Remove the old batteries and insert new ones to see if it resolves the problem.
If the problem persists, chances are you didn’t perform the door orientation detection after installation. Or perhaps the process wasn’t correctly done.
The door orientation detection allows the lock to learn your door orientation — whether it is a right or left-handed door, so it understands how to extend or retract the latch when you input a command.
So, you’ll need to perform the door orientation detection to see if it resolves the problem. This process is the same as resetting the lock.
Here’s how to do this:
- Make sure your door is open and unlocked.
- Remove the battery cover. Next, look for a circle button (labeled RES) below the battery compartment.
- Using a pin or paper clip, press and hold the button.
- Continue holding the button. Next, remove one battery and put it back in.
- Keep holding the button until the latch bolt extends.
- Now the door orientation detection is complete.
As mentioned earlier, this process is the same as resetting the lock. So, you’ll lose all your custom settings, including User Codes and the Master Code. You’ll need to reprogram the lock using the default Master Code
After reprogramming the lock, test it to see if it’s now locking/unlocking electronically.
Unable to Add or Change Codes
One common reason behind this problem is that you’re entering an unsupported code format.
If you’re entering a forward sequence, backward sequence, or repeat sequence code, the lock won’t accept the code. Here is an example:
- Forward sequence: 12345678.
- Backward sequence: 87654321.
- Repeat sequence: 8888888.
Also, make sure the code you’re adding doesn’t match any existing code in the lock. For example, if your lock has 3278 as an existing code, it won’t accept a new code as — 93313278. That’s because the last four digits match an existing code.
So, make sure your code is unique and select random numbers.
Another reason for this problem is that your programming is timing out.
While programming the lock, if the HuTools button turns green, it shows you can progress to the next step. Do not wait until the green light goes off before you move to the next step.
If the green light goes off, your programming may fail, the reason you’re not able to add or change codes.
Also, make sure you’re entering the correct master code to authorize the programming. And be sure you’re following the programming steps correctly.
You can learn how to program your HuTools Digital Deadbolt here.
Latch Bolt Not Extending and Related Issues
All issues with the latch bolt not extending or retracting could be caused by incorrect settings.
If your lock has active batteries and the door handing detection has been properly performed, yet it’s still giving issues related to the latch bolt, incorrect settings could be the culprit.
In this case, you’ll need to remove the lock from the door and reinstall it properly. If you’re not sure how to do this, get a professional to help you install it.
So that’s how to troubleshoot your HuTools Digital Deadbolt.
If your lock still malfunctions after trying all the fixes in this post, try contacting HuTools Customer. You may need to get a replacement if the hardware components are faulty.