This post is your go-to resource if you’re looking for tips to troubleshoot your Kwikset SmartCode 913. If that sounds like what you’re looking for, then let’s head right into it!
In short, if your Kwikset SmartCode 913 is not working, remove the batteries and reinsert them properly. If that doesn’t help, replace the batteries. This should resolve the issue.
For a step-by-step guide on how to get your Kwikset SmartCode 913 to work properly, keep reading.
Troubleshooting Your Kwikset SmartCode 913
Inspect the Batteries
If your Kwikset SmartCode 913 is not working properly (won’t lock/unlock, the keypad not responding, etc.), start your troubleshooting by inspecting the batteries.
The battery polarities may have reversed, causing the lock to stop working. Go to the interior assembly of your lock and remove the interior cover. Next, remove the battery pack and take out the batteries. Now insert the batteries back into the battery pack properly — make sure the positive ends of the batteries are placed on the positive part of the terminals.
Next, put the battery pack back into the lock and replace the cover.
If your lock doesn’t work after this, replace the batteries. Get a new set of alkaline batteries and replace the old ones.
If you’ve received a low battery warning earlier, press and hold the Program button for about 5 seconds before installing the new batteries. Note that this is crucial to the lock operation—the lock may not respond if you don’t do this. See more about Kwikset low battery warning and battery replacement.
If everything about the batteries looks good but the lock is still malfunctioning, continue to the next step.
Perform the Door Handing Detection Process (Locking and Unlocking Direction)
Did you just install your Kwikset SmartCode 913 or moved the lock to another door? If so, the lock may not be working because you haven’t performed the door handing detection.
What is the Door Handing Detection? The door handing detection process lets the lock determine the orientation of your door—whether it’s right or left-handed swing. This enables the lock to learn the locking and unlocking direction of the door.
Your lock won’t function properly if it doesn’t know the orientation of your door. So, you’ll need to perform the door handing detection process on a newly installed lock or when you move the lock to another door.
Perhaps you performed the door-handing detection earlier but didn’t complete it. So, you’ll need to try performing the door handing detection on your Kwikset SmartCode 913 to see if it resolves the problem.
Follow the steps below to perform the door handing detection on your Kwikset SmartCode 913:
- Keep your door open and the latch extended.
- Remove the interior cover and remove the battery pack. Check that the batteries are correctly installed in the battery pack.
- Press and hold the Lock button on the keypad. Keep holding the button.
- Now, reinsert the battery pack while still holding the Lock button. Release the Lock button once the battery pack is installed.
- The latch bolt will retract and extend to learn the orientation (locking and unlocking direction) of the door. You’ll also see a green flash, meaning the programming is successful.
However, if you see a solid red light, it means the process is unsuccessful. Repeat the steps and make sure to follow them correctly.
Try a Factory Reset
Internal glitches (incorrect settings and the like) may cause undesirable operations in your lock. If your lock is still not working properly, try a factory reset.
However, note that resetting your lock will remove all your custom programming/settings and restore the default settings. You’ll need to program your lock again after performing a factory reset.
Here’s how to reset your Kwikset SmartCode 913:
- Remove the battery cover. Next, remove the battery pack.
- Press and hold the Program button (a black circle button on the inside of the interior assembly)
- Replace the battery pack while still holding the Program button.
- Continue holding the Program button (for about 30 seconds) until the lock beeps and the indicator LED flashes red.
- Press the Program button once. Wait 15-30 seconds for the LED to flash green, followed by a beep. Once you see the green flash and hear one beep, the reset is complete.
Next, you’ll need to perform the door handing detection to teach the lock the locking and unlocking direction of your door. Also, add new User Codes, and other programming functions.
Reinstall the Lock
Your lock won’t function properly if you didn’t install it correctly. If the problem persists after trying the fixes above, you may need to remove the lock from the door and reinstall it.
Get the manual that came with your lock and follow the installation guidelines properly. If you’re not sure how to do that, get an expert to help you.
In addition to the troubleshooting tips, ensure that you’ve added User Codes to your lock. You won’t be able to unlock your door through the keypad if you haven’t added any User Codes.
And make sure to perform the door handing detection if you’ve just installed the lock or moved it to another door.
If you still experience the same issues with your Kwikset SmartCode 913 after trying all the fixes here, contact Kwikset Support or replace the lock.