Has your SimpliSafe app stopped working? If so, keep reading to learn how to troubleshoot this issue.
First off, if your SimpliSafe app is malfunctioning, here are some reasons this might be happening:
- You have too many apps running in the background of your phone.
- Your SimpliSafe app has encountered a functional error.
- The SimpliSafe server is down.
- You’re using an outdated version of the app.
- Issues with your Wi-Fi connection.
- You haven’t enabled notifications for the app.
- Your app cache is corrupted.
With that in mind, let’s look at what you can do to get your SimpliSafe app to work again.
How to Fix SimpliSafe App Problems
1. Close All Background Apps
One of the issues you may face when your SimpliSafe app isn’t working properly is that the app is taking too long to load. This often occurs when there are too many applications running in the background of your phone.
To fix this issue, close all the background apps on your phone. Next, restart your phone and open the app again. The app should work fine now. If not, continue to the next step.
2. Delete and Reinstall the SimpliSafe App
Your SimpliSafe app might be malfunctioning because the app file is corrupted. And this issue might have been fixed in the new version of the app.
So, to fix this problem, you’ll have to delete the app from your phone and reinstall it. This way, you’ll have the current (error-free) version of the app.
If you’re not sure how to delete and reinstall the SimpliSafe app, follow the steps below:
- Press and hold the SimpliSafe app on the home screen of your phone. The Uninstall option will appear.
- Tap the Uninstall button to delete the app from your phone.
- Next, you’ll need to re-install it.
- Go to Google Play or App Store (depending on your phone) and enter ‘SimpliSafe’ in the search bar.
- Tap the SimpliSafe app in the search results.
- Now, click on Install to reinstall the app to your phone.
- Wait for the SimpliSafe App to work Properly
- Sometimes, SimpliSafe servers may become crowded with users. As a result, the app may not work. When this happens, the app may also display “Server Error”.
- If you receive the Server Error message while trying to use the app, close the application. Then wait for about 30 minutes for the server to resume operation. Next, restart the app.
The app should now be working properly. If not, keep reading.
3. Check Your Wi-Fi Connection
If your SimpliSafe app suddenly stops working, your smartphone may have disconnected from your Wi-Fi—probably because of low Wi-Fi signal strength.
You can fix this issue by going closer to your router, then try to reconnect again.
If it fails to connect, reboot your router. You can reboot your router by unplugging it from the power outlet and plugging in back in.
Your phone should connect to your Wi-Fi network after rebooting the router.
4. Change Your Wi-Fi Network Band
If your phone has connected, yet the app won’t work, check whether you’re on the 2.4GHz network.
As you probably know, most SimpliSafe devices only support the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network. So, the app won’t work if your Wi-Fi router is operating on a 5GHz Wi-Fi network.
Since the 5GHz Wi-Fi is incompatible with SimpliSafe, you’ll need to change your Wi-Fi network to the 2.4GHz band. Refer to your router’s manual to learn how to change your Wi-Fi network from a 5GGz Wi-Fi band to a 2.4GHz band.
5. Check the Error Message in Your SimpliSafe App
Your SimpliSafe app may not work because your account has been banned from certain actions. If your SimpliSafe app isn’t working, you may need to check and read error messages in the app to see if your account has been banned.
Checking your error message will help you know the issues you are facing with your SimpliSafe account and how to go about them.
Error messages will pop up once you open the SimpliSafe app. Tap on the messages to read them.
6. Clear the Cache in the App
Corrupted app cache may also be the reason your SimpliSafe app is malfunctioning. And you can fix this issue by clearing the app cache.
Here’s how to clear the cache in your SimpliSafe app:
- Open the Settings app on your phone. Then tap Apps.
- Select SimpliSafe and then tap Force Stop.
- The system will prompt you to confirm that you want to force-stop the app. Click on Confirm to continue.
- Next, select Storage on the SimpliSafe app Settings page.
- The Clear Cache option will appear. Click on it to clear your SimpliSafe app cache.
- Now, minimize your Settings app. Then open the SimpliSafe app and check if it is functioning properly.
- If the app is still not working properly, force stop and clear the app cache again. However, if the app is working well, click on the Clear Data option. This will delete the saved data on the app.
- Close the Settings app and relaunch your SimpliSafe application again.
7. Factory Reset Your SimpliSafe Device
If you’ve exhausted all the tips in this article without getting any positive results, you can try factory resetting your SimpliSafe devices.
The process involved in factory resetting a SimpliSafe device varies from one product to another.
In this article, we’ll show you how to factory reset a SimpliSafe camera. But if your device isn’t a SimpliSafe camera, conduct additional research to learn how to factory reset the device.
To factory reset your SimpliSafe camera, press and hold the Reset button on the device for about 20 seconds.
Note that this action will erase all the data stored in the camera.
In addition, factory resetting your SimpliSafe device will remove the device from the app. So, you’ll have to re-add the camera to your SimpliSafe app:
- Open the Simplisafe app and scroll to the Cameras section.
- Click on Set Up a Camera
- Choose the camera model you are adding to the app.
- Press the setup button on your camera.
- The camera will now pair with the app and the Simplisafe Base Station. You may hear ‘Camera Added’ from the Base Station when the pairing is successful.
- Now input the name you want to give your camera.
- You have added your SimpliSafe camera to the app.
So those are the fixes to try if your SimpliSafe app is malfunctioning.
However, note that issues with the SimpliSafe may sometimes happen because of server upgrade or maintenance. If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting tips here without success, try contacting SimpliSafe Customer Support to find out what the problem is.