You probably bought a SimpliSafe camera because you learned the device detects motion. But since you installed the camera, the SimpliSafe app has never notified you of any movement around your camera.
If that sounds like you, keep reading to learn why your Simplisafe camera won’t detect motion and how to troubleshoot this issue.
Why is my SimpliSafe Camera Not Detecting Motion?
Some of the reasons why your camera won’t detect motion are:
- You haven’t turned on notifications in your SimpliSafe app.
- Power surge.
- Your Simplisafe camera’s battery isn’t charged properly.
- Your Simplisafe camera is not connected to Wi-Fi.
- The Simplisafe app configuration settings are incorrect.
- Your camera can’t read the QR code in the app.
Now, let’s take you through some tips to troubleshoot this issue.
How to Fix Motion Detection Issues in SimpliSafe Camera
Here are some troubleshooting steps to help you fix the problem:
1. Turn on Notifications from the SimpliSafe App
Your SimpliSafe camera may already be detecting motion, but you might not have received an alert because you haven’t enabled notifications from the app. Once you turn on SimpliSafe app notifications on your phone, you should start getting alerts when your camera senses motion.
Follow these steps to turn on notifications from your SimpliSafe app:
- On your phone’s home screen, click on the Settings icon.
- Under Settings, select General.
- Navigate to Notifications in the list of options under General.
- Scroll through the Notifications tab to find the SimpliSafe application.
- When you find the app, tap on it. Then toggle the switch for Allow Notifications to the On position to start receiving alerts from your SimpliSafe app.
If the switch for Allow Notifications under the SimpliSafe app is already on when you get to the page, you can try another solution.
Note that this process may differ depending on your phone. Try to follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process or refer to your phone’s user manual.
2. Reboot Your SimpliSafe Camera
If a power surge happens in your home, it may disrupt the inner mechanisms of your SimpliSafe camera. And certain features may become temporarily inactive.
Rebooting your SimpliSafe camera after a power surge will remove any excess electricity charges affecting the proper functioning of your device. When you power up the camera again, everything should be back to normal.
Here’s how to reboot your SimpliSafe camera:
- Unmount the camera from its mounting bracket.
- Remove all the screws on the battery cover to open the camera’s battery compartment.
- Next, take the battery out of its compartment and wait for about 30 seconds.
- Place the battery back in its compartment.
- Replace all the screws.
Your camera should start detecting motion now.
3. Charge Your SimpliSafe Camera Again
The motion detector in your SimpliSafe camera requires strong, well-charged batteries to run. So, if the internal charge of your battery is faulty, your camera might be unable to sense motion.
A problematic battery charge in a camera usually occurs when the adapter used in charging is faulty. Your camera’s battery may also fail to charge properly if you plug your SimpliSafe camera into a power outlet without enough current.
If your SimpliSafe camera isn’t detecting motion, try charging its battery. Ensure that you use a different adapter than the one used previously. You may also plug it into a different power outlet this time.
Your SimpliSafe camera will display a blinking yellow light if it is charging. Charge the camera’s battery for about 10 minutes before testing the camera for motion detection.
4. Reinstall Your SimpliSafe App
While installing your SimpliSafe app, you may have selected the wrong configuration settings in the app. This issue may prevent the camera from detecting motion.
Also, if you don’t scan the QR code on your SimpliSafe camera, the device may be unable to sense any motion.
If you remember skipping some steps while connecting your camera to your SimpliSafe app, you need to uninstall and re-download the app.
Take the following steps to re-install the SimpliSafe app to your phone:
- Search for the SimpliSafe app on your phone.
- Press and hold the app to reveal the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to remove the application from your phone.
- Open the App Store to re-install the SimpliSafe app. If you use an Android phone, go to the Google Play Store and find the SimpliSafe app on it. And for iOS devices, go to App Store.
- Once you download the SimpliSafe app, scan the QR code at the back of your SimpliSafe camera to link the device to the app.
After re-installing the app, ask someone to pass by your camera to see if it detects motion.
5. Reconnect the Camera to Your Wi-Fi Router
Your SimpliSafe camera won’t detect any motion if it isn’t connected to your Wi-Fi router. Perhaps you already linked your camera to your router when you first installed the SimpliSafe app.
However, your SimpliSafe camera may disconnect from Wi-Fi due to reasons like power outages and low Wi-Fi signal strength.
If your camera has disconnected from your Wi-Fi router, you must reconnect the device to the router before it can detect motion.
Here’s how to reconnect your SimpliSafe camera to your Wi-Fi:
- Open the SimpliSafe app on your phone and click on the SimpliSafe Camera tab.
- Find and select Wi-Fi and Connectivity under your camera’s options.
- Next, tap on Scan for networks.
- Look for your Wi-Fi network amidst the results displayed and click on it.
- Now, enter your Wi-Fi password and wait for your SimpliSafe camera to connect to it.
Once your camera is connected to your Wi-Fi, check whether your SimpliSafe camera can detect motion.
6. Contact Your Internet Service Provider
If your SimpliSafe camera still can’t detect motion after you’ve reconnected it to your Wi-Fi, your internet connection may be faulty. This occurs when your internet service provider undergoes operational issues.
To determine if there are problems with your internet connection, connect your phone to your Wi-Fi. You can also conduct an online speed test to assess the quality of your internet connection.
If you can’t access the internet when your phone is linked to your Wi-Fi, it may be a sign that your data connection is problematic.
Once you are sure that there are issues with your internet connection, ask your Internet Service Provider to resolve the problem. If you don’t get a response, you might need to change your router.
7. Factory Reset Your SimpliSafe Camera
What if your Simplisafe camera still fails to detect motion after you’ve attempted all the tips above? Then, you may have no other option than to factory reset the camera.
A factory reset will erase all incorrect settings and restore your camera’s original configuration. This should allow your SimpliSafe camera to regain its motion detection.
Follow these steps to restore your SimpliSafe camera’s factory settings:
- Detach your camera from its mounting bracket.
- Find the Reset button at the back of your camera.
- Press and hold the reset button for about 20 seconds. Don’t release the reset button until the camera’s LED lights appear.
- After you’ve released the button, wait for the camera to finish resetting.
Your SimpliSafe camera should be able to detect motion after you’ve completed the factory reset.
Your SimpliSafe camera may still fail to detect motion even after you’ve attempted all the solutions recommended here. If you encounter this issue, request a repair from the manufacturer or replace your device.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot offline issues in SimpliSafe Camera. Also, see how to troubleshoot motion detection issues in Vivint doorbell cameras.