If you’re having trouble charging your Wyze Cam Outdoor or Wyze Cam v3, this post is your go-to resource.
In the following paragraphs, we will walk you through some troubleshooting steps to help you fix the problem. Let’s get started.
First off, here are some reasons your Wyze Outdoor Cam won’t charge:
- Your charging cable is faulty.
- You’re not charging the camera through the Wyze Base Station.
- Wyze Base Station isn’t plugged into power.
- Your charging port is faulty.
That said, let’s head over to the troubleshooting steps.
Wyze Outdoor Camera Not Charging: Try These Troubleshooting Tips
1. Check that Your Wyze Base Station is Plugged into Power and Turned On
As you probably know, your Wyze Cam Outdoor backup battery charges via the Base Station. And the Base Station needs to be plugged into power to charge your camera’s battery.
If the camera isn’t charging, start your troubleshooting by inspecting the Base Station. Ensure it’s plugged into a working outlet and turned on. If the battery is charging, the status LED on the camera will illuminate—showing it is charging. The camera will also display charging as its status in the Wyze app.
If you’ve confirmed that your Base Station is plugged into power and turned on, but your Outdoor Camera won’t charge, continue to the next step.
2. Ensure You’re Using the Right Charging Cable
Your Wyze Outdoor Camera comes with a charging cable, and this is the cable you should use to charge the camera through the Base Station.
If you’re using another cable (other than the supplied charging cable), that might be the cause of the charging issues. If this is the case, switch to the charging cable that came with your camera and see if it works. Ensure the cable is inserted firmly.
However, if you were actually using the Wyze charging cable or you’ve just switched to the Wyze cable without success, try using another cord that meets Wyze Outdoor Cam charging requirements (5v/2A).
If the cable works, it means your Wyze Outdoor Camera charging cable/adapter is faulty, and you’ll need to get a replacement.
3. Inspect the Charging Port
Another likely cause of charging issues with your Wyze Outdoor Camera is a faulty charging port. Your camera won’t charge if there’s any obstruction in the charging port or the cable isn’t inserted firmly.
Check and ensure the charging port is free of any obstruction and insert the charging cable firmly. If this checks out and your Outdoor Cam is still not charging, continue to the next step.
4. Reboot Your Outdoor Cam and Base Station
If you’re still experiencing the battery problem, try to reboot the camera and Base Station to see if it helps.
Here are the steps to follow to reboot your Wyze Outdoor Cam:
- Turn off the power switch on the back of the camera. If the camera is plugged into an outlet, unplug the power cord from the camera.
- Now wait for about 30 seconds and switch the power switch back on or plug it back to the power outlet. This should reboot your Wyze Outdoor Camera.
And to reboot your Wyze Base Station, unplug it from the power source, then wait for about 10 seconds and plug it back in.
If your camera is still not charging, try contacting Wyze Customer Support for help.
How long does the Wyze Outdoor Cam battery last after charging?
On average, the Wyze Outdoor Cam battery can last up to 6 months on each full charge.
Wyze Outdoor Cam drains battery; what do I do?
If your Wyze Outdoor Camera drains its battery quickly, here are some troubleshooting steps to try:
- Check the position of your camera and reposition it. Your camera should be placed in a low traffic area—if motion detection is active.
- If your Wyze Outdoor Cam has too many events, it could cause the battery to drain quickly. Try to use events such as Live Stream only as needed.
- Check your recordings settings. Non-stop scheduled recordings and time lapse videos can affect the battery life of your Wyze Outdoor Cam. Try to use scheduled recordings and time lapse videos sparingly.
- More so, ensure you only charge the battery with the Base Station. Charging it through your computer or other means may weaken the battery quickly.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot connection failure issues with the Wyze Outdoor Cam. Also, see how to fix a Wyze Outdoor Cam that won’t Turn On.