Wondering why your Vivint doorbell camera isn’t detecting motion or recording any events happening around it? Keep reading to learn how to troubleshoot this issue.
Before you learn how to resolve motion detection problems in your Vivint doorbell camera, you should know why you are experiencing this problem. This information will help you determine the most suitable solution for you. Let’s get started.
Your Vivint doorbell camera may fail to detect motion because:
- The camera has low motion detection sensitivity.
- Your Vivint doorbell camera has lost connectivity with the control panel.
- The camera is out of power.
- Your doorbell camera is no longer connected to the internet.
Now, let’s walk you through the steps to troubleshoot this issue.
How to Troubleshoot Motion Detection Issues in Vivint Doorbell Camera
So here are some troubleshooting steps to try if your Vivint doorbell camera won’t detect motion:
1. Adjust the Motion Detection Sensitivity on Your Camera
Your Vivint doorbell camera may not detect motion because its motion detection sensitivity is low. This means that it can only sense apparent movements like running or jumping. Since you probably want your Vivint doorbell camera to detect when people walk into your house, you have to adjust your motion sensitivity.
Follow these steps to set your Vivint doorbell’s camera motion detection sensitivity to your preference:
- Disarm your Vivint control panel by entering your pin.
- Then, click on the Camera icon at the bottom of the page.
- Choose the camera you’d like to adjust.
- Next, tap on the Settings icon at the upper right corner of the screen and input the pin to your Vivint control panel.
- Scroll to Detection Settings and click on it.
- The system will present a motion box with a view of the part of your home that the camera covers.
- Move the motion box to the area where you want the camera to detect motion. The motion detection area could be your front door, for instance. You can also shrink or increase the size of the motion box to fit your motion detection area.
- Scroll down to alter the Object Size and Motion Sensitivity.
Your Vivint doorbell camera’s motion sensitivity level determines the motion your device can detect. If the motion sensitivity is low, the camera will only detect apparent movements like running. Average motion sensitivity means that the camera can detect both walking and running motions.
If the motion sensitivity is high, it will sense all kinds of movement. Avoid setting your camera motion sensitivity too high to prevent the control panel from sending excessive notifications to your phone.
The Object Size refers to the height of people, items, and animals whose movement the camera will detect.
If the number is small, your Vivint camera will be able to see both small and large objects. However, you may only want the doorbell camera to detect the movement of animals and humans. In that case, you have to increase the object size.
Once you are satisfied with your adjustment, click on Add Area and exit the control panel.
2. Reboot Your Vivint SkyControl Panel
Sometimes, your Vivint doorbell camera may fail to detect motion because it isn’t properly connected to your control panel. In such cases, you might need to reboot the Vivint SkyControl panel to refresh the connection between your Vivint doorbell camera and the control panel.
Follow these steps to reboot your Vivint control panel:
- Open the SkyControl panel and click on the menu icon at the bottom of the page.
- Next, tap on Devices. The system will now request you to input your pin.
- Input your pin to gain access to the Devices menu.
- On the Devices submenu, click on Displays. Then, tap Reboot.
- The system will ask whether you want to reset the panel. Click on Yes to continue.
Your Vivint SkyControl panel will now reset. This will allow your doorbell camera to reconnect to it. Your Vivint doorbell camera should be able to detect motion once it is connected to your control panel.
3. Power Cycle Your Vivint Doorbell Camera
If your Vivint doorbell camera doesn’t detect motion after you’ve reconnected it to the control panel, you may need to power cycle it.
Here is how to power cycle your Vivint doorbell camera:
- Press and hold the button at the top of your Vivint doorbell camera until its light indicator turns red.
- Next, take your finger off the button. Then, wait until the light indicator switches from a red color to a green color.
Your Vivint doorbell camera reboot is now complete.
4. Replace Battery and Wires
Your Vivint doorbell camera may fail to detect motion because it is out of power. This may occur because the batteries have reached the end of their lifetime. Also, if the wires connecting your doorbell camera to your power source are faulty, the doorbell camera may lose power.
To determine if your Vivint doorbell camera still has power, check whether the camera is lit up. If the screen is dark, you may need to replace your batteries or fix your wires as necessary.
Your Vivint doorbell camera needs 4AA batteries to function properly.
5. Reset Your Wi-Fi Router
Your Vivint doorbell camera won’t detect motion if it isn’t connected to the internet. Although you’ve already linked it to your Wi-Fi router. But if your router is problematic, the camera won’t get an internet connection.
Connect your mobile phone to the Wi-Fi network if you want to check whether your router’s connectivity is faulty. If you can’t surf the internet using your Wi-Fi, your router needs resetting.
Follow these steps to reset your Wi-Fi router:
- Press the Reset button on your router.
- Then, wait for about 2–3 minutes
- You have reset your router.
After the reset is complete, use your phone to check whether the router has regained its internet connection. Connect your Vivint doorbell camera to your router once you are sure that it is connected to the internet.
So that’s how to troubleshoot motion detection issues with your Vivint doorbell camera. One of the fixes should do the trick for you. However, if the problem persists, contact Vivint customer support for help.