If the Person Detection feature on your Wyze camera is not working, keep reading. In this post, I’ll show you how to fix this issue in minutes.
First off, if the Person Detection feature isn’t working on your Wyze camera, here are some reasons behind this:
- The camera isn’t positioned properly.
- Motion detection isn’t enabled.
- Your Wyze app might be outdated.
- Your camera isn’t running the latest firmware.
That said, let’s look at how to troubleshoot this problem.
How to Fix ‘Wyze Person Detection’ Issues
Ensure that Your Wyze Camera is Positioned Correctly.
If your Wyze Person Detection is not working, you may have positioned the camera incorrectly. As a result, the device won’t be able to detect people.
What is the right way to position a Wyze camera? Wyze recommends following the guidelines below when installing your camera:
- Place your camera in an upright position.
- Ensure that nothing obstructs the device from viewing people clearly from its mount. Windows and mirrors should be outside the camera’s view.
- Install the camera about 2-20 feet away from the area where you want the device to detect people. The space between the camera and the target detection area ensures that the person stays within the camera’s view during the 12-second event video.
- Fix your Wyze camera about 6 feet high on the wall.
- Adjust your camera’s frame such that it is large enough to view a person’s full body.
- Your camera should be installed in a location with sufficient light. The device may not detect people if the surrounding area is too dark.
Check that You Have Enabled Motion Detection for Your Wyze Camera
Your Wyze camera won’t detect people if the motion detection feature is disabled. This is because the camera can only detect people when they move.
If the Person Detection feature on your Wyze camera isn’t working, check that you have turned on motion detection for the device. If you haven’t turned on the Motion Detection feature, you’ll need to enable it.
Follow these steps to activate motion detection for your Wyze camera:
- Open the Wyze app on your phone.
- Click on your Wyze camera on the app’s home screen.
- Next, click on the Settings icon at the top right part of the screen. Then select Event Recording.
- Now, check if the switch beside Detects Motion is turned on. If it isn’t, toggle the switch to activate motion detection.
- You’ll also see that the option All Day has been automatically activated. This option means that your camera’s motion detection feature will work throughout the day. If you leave this setting on, you may receive too many motion detection alerts on your phone.
- Turn off the switch beside All Day. The Start Time and End Time settings will now appear. Use these features to decide when you want your camera to detect motion.
- Now, click on the back arrow at the top left part of the screen to save your motion detection settings.
The Person Detection feature on the Wyze camera should start working now. But if it doesn’t, move on to the next step.
Related: How to Fix Wyze Cam Charging Issues.
Update Your Wyze App and Wyze Camera Firmware
Is your Wyze app outdated? Then, the app may contain some errors preventing your Wyze camera from detecting people.
You can resolve this problem by updating your Wyze app.
Take the following steps to download the latest version for your Wyze app:
- If you use an Android phone, open the Google Play Store. For iOS devices, go to App Store.
- Then, enter “Wyze app” in the search bar.
- Click on the Wyze app in the search results to go to the download page.
- Tap Update on the download page to install the latest version of the app.
If the Person Detection feature on your Wyze camera doesn’t work after upgrading the app, update the camera’s firmware.
Here’s how to update your Wyze camera firmware:
- Click on your camera in the Wyze app.
- Tap the Settings icon at the top of the page.
- Next, select Device Info. Then select Firmware Update. If your firmware is outdated, you’ll see the updated version on the Firmware Update page.
If your Wyze Person Detection is not working, check that you have installed your camera correctly. If this fails to correct the issue, check and ensure that motion detection for the Wyze camera is turned on.
In case none of the tips above works, you can also try updating your Wyze app and camera firmware to fix the problem.
Contact Wyze Support if none of the tips here helps.