HBN Smart Plug Not Connecting [How to Fix]
In this post, I’ll show you how to troubleshoot connectivity issues with your HBN Smart Plug. If that sounds like what you’re looking for, let’s head right into it.
First off, here are some reasons your HBN smart plug isn’t connecting to Wi-Fi:
- The smart plug is connected to a faulty power outlet.
- The plug is not in pairing mode.
- Your router is not working properly.
- You’re connecting to an incompatible Wi-Fi band.
- You are trying to set up the smart plug with the wrong app.
- Your plug’s firmware is outdated.
Keep reading to learn how to troubleshoot these issues.
Tips to Fix HBN Smart Plug Connectivity Issues
Ensure that the Smart Plug is Connected to a Working Power Outlet
Your HBN smart plug needs power to connect to Wi-Fi. So, if the smart plug isn’t connecting, you might have plugged it into a faulty power outlet.
If you’re unable to get your HBN smart plug to connect to Wi-Fi, check if it is plugged into a working power outlet. To do this, disconnect the smart plug from the power outlet. Then plug your phone charger into the outlet and try to charge your phone with it.
If your phone doesn’t charge while connected to the power outlet, the outlet might be faulty. So, you’ll need to connect your smart plug to another power outlet.
But if the phone charges, the power outlet is working properly. Re-connect your smart plug to the original power outlet. Then try the next tip to resolve the issue.
Check that Your Smart Plug is in Pairing Mode
Your HBN smart plug needs to be in pairing mode before it can connect to Wi-Fi. When the plug is in pairing mode, a blue light will blink rapidly on the device.
If your smart plug isn’t connecting, chances are you haven’t set the plug in pairing mode.
Here’s how to activate pairing mode on your HBN smart plug:
- Press the power button at the top of the plug to turn it on.
- Then release the button.
- Next, press and hold the power button until you see a blue light blinking rapidly on the plug. This means the device is in pairing mode.
Your HBN smart plug should connect to Wi-Fi once it is in pairing mode. But if the plug doesn’t connect, move on to the next step.
Reboot Your Router
If your smart plug isn’t connecting, your router may not be working properly.
You can fix this issue by rebooting your router.
To reboot your router, unplug the device from your power outlet and wait for 30 seconds. Then re-plug the router into the outlet.
If your HBN Smart Plug isn’t connecting after you’ve rebooted your router, check out the next tip.
Change Your Wi-Fi Band
There are 2 main Wi-Fi bands: The 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. That said, the HBN smart plug is only compatible with the 2.4GHz band. So, if your router is broadcasting on a 5GHz Wi-Fi band, the smart plug won’t connect to Wi-Fi.
To resolve this problem, you’ll need to switch to a 2.4GHz band. Consult your router’s user manual to see how to change your Wi-Fi band.
Ensure that You Are Using the Smart Life App for the Setup
HBN offers 3 apps for managing its products: HBN Smart, Smart Life, and BN-Link. But the smart plug works best with the Smart Life app. So, if you are trying to set up your smart plug with the HBN Smart or BN-Link app, the plug may not connect.
If your smart plug isn’t connecting, close your app and check if you are using the Smart Life app to set up the plug. If you aren’t using the Smart Life app, download the app and use it to set up the plug. However, if you are already using the Smart Life app, continue to the next step.
Update Your HBN Smart Plug Firmware and Smart Life App
If your HBN Smart Plug isn’t connecting, chances are your smart plug firmware and Smart Life app are outdated. Outdated firmware and apps tend to cause connectivity issues in smart devices.
Your smart plug should connect to Wi-Fi if you update your firmware and Smart Life app.
Take the following steps to update your firmware:
- Open the Smart Life app.
- Tap on the 3-dot icon at the top right part of the screen.
- You’ll see all the devices available for management on the Smart Life App. Click on your HBN smart plug.
- Then scroll down to Check for Firmware Update. The latest firmware version will appear here.
- Click on the new firmware version to update your firmware.
Now, you can update your Smart Life app.
Here’s how to update your Smart Life app:
- Close the Smart Life app.
- Next, go to Google Play Store or App Store.
- Input “Smart Life app” in the search bar. Then click on the Smart Life app in the search results. You’ll be taken to the Smart Life app download page.
- Tap the Update button to update the app.
Your HBN Smart Plug should connect to Wi-Fi after updating the firmware and the Smart Life app. If the smart plug fails to connect, try the next tip.
Reset Your Smart Plug
If your HBN smart plug doesn’t connect after you’ve tried all the tips, reset the plug.
To reset your smart plug, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds. You’ll need to restart the setup process for the smart plug after resetting it.
- Troubleshooting Esicoo Smart Plug Connectivity Issues.
- Tips to Resolve KMC Smart Plug Connectivity Problems.
If your HBN Smart Plug isn’t connecting, check that you’ve connected the smart plug to a working outlet. Next, check and ensure the plug is in pairing mode.
If the smart plug doesn’t connect after this, reboot your router and change your Wi-Fi band. You should also ensure that you are using the Smart Life app to set up the plug.
Another way to fix the issue is to update your smart plug firmware and Smart Life app.
But if all these tips fail to work, reset your HBN Smart Plug and set it up again.