In this post, we’ll walk you through the steps to set up your Wyze smart plug with the Wyze app. We also covered how to connect the Wyze plug to Google Home and Alexa—for voice control.
If that sounds like what you’re looking for, let’s head right into it.
How to Set Up Your Wyze Smart Plug?
If you’ve purchased a new Wyze plug or performed a reset on your existing plug, you want to set it up again with the app and connect to Wi-Fi. So let’s look at how you can do this.
First off, confirm the version of your Wyze plug. To do this, check the back of your plug to see if you have a key symbol or not. If yes, your Wyze plug is the 2021 version, so you’ll have to select “Wyze Plug (2021 version)” during the setup.
And if not (your Wyze plug doesn’t have the key symbol), then you have the Wyze plug classic, so you’ll select “Wyze Plug” during setup.
Now let’s head over to the setup instructions—starting with the Wyze Plug (2021 version).
Follow the steps below to set up your Wyze Smart Plug (2021 version):
- Download the Wyze app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store (depending on your device).
- Create an account or login with your existing credentials—if you already have a Wyze account. Skip this step if you already have the Wyze app running on your mobile device.
- Plug your Wyze smart plug into a working outlet. The indicator light will blink blue and this shows the plug is in pairing mode. If it’s not blinking, press and hold the power button for a few seconds until it starts blinking.
- Return to the app and tap “Add Device”. Next, tap “Power & Lighting” and then tap Wyze Plug (2021 version)”.
- Tap “Next”, then select your Wi-Fi network and enter the password. Ensure your Wi-Fi network is on the 2.4GHz band and double-check that your password is correct.
- Now your Wyze plug will connect to your Wi-Fi after a few seconds. Next, rename/enter a name for your plug and tap “Finish”.
Setting Up the Wyze Plug Classic
Note the above setup instructions are for the Wyze Plug 2021 version. If you have the Wyze Plug Classic, follow the steps below to set it up:
- Ensure the Wyze app is installed on your phone, and you’re logged in.
- Plug your Wyze smart plug into a functional outlet. The status light will flash blue to show that the plug is in pairing mode. If not, long-press the power button until it starts flashing.
- Tap “Add Device, then tap “Power & Lighting” and select “Wyze Plug”.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter your password.
- Tap “Next”, then select the Wyze Plug Wi-Fi and tap “Connect”.
- Wait a few seconds for the plug to complete pairing. The indicator light will stop blinking once the pairing is complete.
- Now name your plug and tap “Finish” to complete the process.
Note: You may be prompted (for Android users) that the Wyze Plug network has no internet connection when trying to connect. If this happens, don’t switch to mobile data. Accept the no internet popup and wait a few seconds for the plug to connect. Ensure you don’t dismiss the message, as doing so will cancel the setup process.
And that’s all you need to do to set up your Wyze Plug with the Wyze app. You can now control your plug remotely via the Wyze app on your phone.
If you run into any issues while setting up your Wyze Plug, go here for troubleshooting tips.
Now let’s look at how to set up your Wyze plug with Google Home and Alexa for hands-free control.
How to Set Up Your Wyze Plug with Alexa?
Here are the steps to follow to set up your Wyze smart plug with Amazon Alexa:
- Ensure the Alexa app is installed on your phone and working.
- Open the Alexa app and tap the three lines (menu icon) in the top left-hand corner.
- Tap “Skills & Games” and then tap the search icon. Next, type “Wyze” in the search bar to find it.
- Tap “Wyze” from the search results and tap “Enable to Use”.
And that’s all you need to do to connect your Wyze smart plug to Alexa, and you can now ask Alexa to turn on/off the plug hands-free.
Alternatively, you can link your Wyze plug to Alexa through the Wyze app. Open the Wyze app and go to “Account” settings, then click “Works with”. Follow the on-screen instructions to link Alexa to your Wyze account.
How to Set Up Wyze Plug with Google Home?
Here’s how to do that:
- Ensure the Google Home app is installed on your phone and working properly.
- Open the Google Home and tap the Plus (+) symbol in the upper left-hand corner.
- Tap “Set up device”, then tap “Works with Google”.
- Search for “Wyze Home”. To do this, type “Wyze Home” in the search bar.
- Now tap “Wyze Home” and sign in with your Wyze account details (email and password).
- If prompted, tap “Authorize” to complete the pairing.
Google Assistant will automatically connect with all devices in your Wyze account, including your Wyze Plug. So you can control the plug hands-free via Google Assistant.
As you can see, setting up your Wyze Plug is easy, as long as you follow the steps correctly.
Make sure you choose the correct version of the plug during setup to avoid connection issues. More so, ensure you have the current version of the app and the device’s firmware.
You can check and update your Wyze device’s firmware by going to “Account” and then select “Firmware Upgrade—in the Wyze app.