If you’re looking for tips to help you troubleshoot Wi-Fi connection issues with your August Doorbell, you’re on the right page.
In this post, we explained why your August Doorbell isn’t connecting to Wi-Fi and also offered handy tips to help you fix the issue yourself. Sounds like what you’re looking for? Then let’s head right into it.
If your August Doorbell won’t connect to Wi-Fi, here are some reasons this might be happening:
- Low Wi-Fi signal strength.
- Your router is not operating on a 2.4GHz network.
- Connectivity errors in your August doorbell camera.
Now, let’s go into more details on how to resolve these issues.
How to Troubleshoot Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues in August Doorbell
1. Move Your Router Closer to Your August Doorbell
Your August doorbell may disconnect from your router if its Wi-Fi signal strength is too low. The minimum required signal strength for August doorbells is -67 dBm (decibel milliwatts). Any signal strength below -67 dBm will turn your doorbell’s connection off.
The Wi-Fi signal strength on your August doorbell may weaken when your router is too far away from your doorbell. If you want your doorbell to regain its Wi-Fi connection or connect to Wi-Fi easily, bring your router closer to it.
If you cannot move your router from its current position because of other devices connected to it, get a Wi-Fi extender to boost your Wi-Fi network coverage.
2. Switch to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Network Band
August doorbells only support 2.4GH Wi-Fi networks. That said, your doorbell will disconnect from your Wi-Fi if your router isn’t running on a 2.4GHz band.
Most routers have 2 dual bands: the 5GHz and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network bands. Usually, the router automatically switches to the network with the highest signal when it is running. This is why your August doorbell may randomly disconnect from your Wi-Fi even though it had made successful Wi-Fi connections in the past.
To resolve this issue, change your Wi-Fi network band to 2.4GHz. You can do this via your router’s settings or by logging into the admin web page. Refer to your router’s user manual for specific instructions.
3. Power Cycle Your August Doorbell
Your August doorbell may still fail to connect to your Wi-Fi even after you’ve changed your Wi-Fi network. If this happens, you might need to reboot your doorbell.
Follow these steps to power cycle your August doorbell when it is offline:
- Remove the device from its mounting plate.
- Next, press the Off button on the doorbell.
- You can now remount your doorbell on the wall.
Once your doorbell is back on the wall, it will start rebooting. If everything is fine with the doorbell, it should be able to connect to your Wi-Fi now.
4. Reboot Your Modem/Access Point
Sometimes, your August doorbell camera may fail to connect to your Wi-Fi because the Wi-Fi connection itself is faulty. In that case, you might have to reboot your modem or access point to bring your doorbell back online.
To reboot your modem, plug it out of its power outlet and wait for about 3 minutes. Then, replug the modem. This method is excellent for troubleshooting the August doorbell when it goes offline at random intervals.
5. Disconnect and Re-install Your August Doorbell Camera
What if you still can’t get your August doorbell camera to reconnect to your Wi-Fi after trying all the tips listed above? Then, you may have to disconnect your August doorbell camera from the August app and set it up again.
Open the August and find the faulty doorbell. Then follow the instructions in the app to disconnect it.
But before you disconnect your doorbell camera, you may want to save all your important videos.
That said, if you’ve disconnected your august doorbell camera, follow the steps below to set it up again:
- Open your August app on your mobile device.
- Tap on the Menu icon at the top of the screen and select Set up a device.
- Next, click on Set up an August Doorbell Cam. Then, select your August Doorbell Cam model and tap START to begin the setup process.
- Follow all the steps listed in the app to ensure that your setup is successful.
- Now, give your August Doorbell Cam a name and assign it to an August Smart Lock.
- The system will now ask you to connect your doorbell camera to your Wi-Fi network.
- Click on your Wi-Fi network and input your Wi-Fi password.
Your August doorbell camera will connect to the app in a few minutes.
6. Update the App
Your doorbell is still not connecting to your home Wi-Fi network? Then another fix to try is updating the app. As you probably know, running an outdated version of the app may cause some malfunctions. So check the app to see if there’s a new update and update it.
Not sure how to update the app? This depends on the operating system of your mobile device. If you use an Android device, go over to Google Play Store and type “August” in the search bar to find the app. Next, tap on the app and check if there’s a new update and update it.
For iOS devices, you can check and update your August app on the App Store.
After updating the app, try connecting to Wi-Fi again to see if it works.
If your August doorbell remains offline after you’ve attempted all the tips in this guide, contact the August Customer Support team for help.
To recap, the following tips can help you troubleshoot your August doorbell when it goes offline:
- Move your router closer to your August doorbell.
- Switch to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
- Power cycle your August doorbell.
- Reboot your modem/access point.
- Disconnect and re-install your August doorbell camera.