Not sure why your BG Smart Socket won’t connect to your home Wi-Fi? If so, keep reading as I’ll walk you through the steps to troubleshoot all connectivity issues you’re having with your BG Smart Socket.
But first, check and ensure that your BG socket is plugged into a functional outlet. That is, check the wall outlet and confirm that it’s turned on and your smart socket has received power.
That said, if the wall outlet is working fine and you’re still having connection issues with your socket, try the following troubleshooting tips.
How to Troubleshoot Wi-Fi Connection Issues with BG Smart Socket
1. Confirm That the LED Indicator Rapidly Blinks
If your BG Smart Socket has received power, the LED indicator should start blinking rapidly, showing the socket is in pairing mode. But if not, press and hold the Power button on the socket for a few seconds until the indicator blinks rapidly.
Now your socket is in pairing mode and ready to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Go over to your app and start the setup process again to see if it works.
Still won’t connect? Continue to the next step.
2. Split Your Wi-Fi Network Band
As you probably know, a dual-band router can automatically switch between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi network bands. And BG Smart Socket doesn’t support the 5 GHz band, meaning you may have connectivity issues when the router automatically switches to the 5 GHz band.
Check your router’s settings to see if it’s set to dual-band. If so, switch it to use 2.4 GHz only. This way, you can prevent connectivity issues during setup and even when you’re already using the device.
If you’re not sure how to split your Wi-Fi network band on your router, check your router’s user manual for instructions.
3. Make Sure Your Phone and Smart Socket Are Connected to the Same Network
If you’re trying to connect your BG Socket to a different Wi-Fi network from the one used on your mobile device, chances are the connection may fail.
So, ensure your mobile device and the BG Smart Socket are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Also, check to see that you have a good Wi-Fi connection speed. If not, restart or reset your router—if needed. You may try to move your router closer to your socket or get a Wi-Fi Extender to improve Wi-Fi signal strength.
4. Ensure You’re Using the Right App
Though most smart sockets work with the Smart Life App/Tuya, BG Smart Socket (as of now) doesn’t work quite okay with Tuya or Smart Life App.
So if you’re trying to set up the socket with the Smart Life/Tuya app, you may never get it right. BG Smart Socket works with the BG Home app—you can download it from Google Play or Apple App Store.
If you were using the wrong app, you can now get the right one and then try to connect again.
5. Reset Your BG Smart Socket
If you’re still not able to connect to your home Wi-Fi network, then your best bet is to restore default settings on the socket. Yes, this usually helps to fix several issues with the socket, including Wi-Fi connection issues.
To reset your BG Smart Socket, press and hold the Power button for about 10 seconds. Release the button when the indicator light blinks rapidly—this shows the socket is reset and now ready to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Also, uninstall and reinstall the app to clear all previous settings. You can now start the setup process again—hopefully, your socket should work fine now.
If you’re still having issues, you may switch to AP mode config. Click AP mode config in the top right corner of the app and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
And if you’re not sure how to set up your BG Smart Socket with the app, follow the steps below.
How to Set Up BG Smart Socket
- Go to Google Play Store or Apple App Store and search for “BG Home” and install it on your mobile device. Next, open the app and create an account. If you already have a BG Home account, log in with your existing credentials.
- Plug in your BG Smart Socket into a functional outlet. If the LED indicator isn’t blinking, press and hold the Power button until it blinks (it takes a few seconds).
- Go back to the app (launch it if it was closed) and then click on “Add Device”. Next, click on “Adaptor”.
- Now the app will ask you to power on the device and confirm that the indicator light is flashing quickly. Check if it’s flashing quickly and click on “I have finished the above set up” and then click “Get Started”.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and click Next. Ensure your Wi-Fi is on a 2.4 GHz network.
- Allow a few seconds for the app to connect to your device. Next, select your device location, name your device and then click “Save”.
- So that’s all you need to do to set up your BG Smart Socket with the BG Home App. You can now tap “Go to device control page” to control devices plugged into your BG Smart Socket remotely.
You can also control the BG Smart Socket hands-free via Alexa or Google Home. Yes, the socket is compatible with Alexa and Google Home and you can link the BG Home App to Alexa or Google for hands-free control.
For the most part, connectivity issues with your BG Smart Socket are not from the socket but your network. As highlighted above, an unsupported Wi-Fi network band, slow/unstable network, and the like—may cause Wi-Fi connection issues. So ensure you check and try each troubleshooting step.
More so, ensure you put the socket in setup mode before connecting it to your home Wi-Fi and your wall outlet should be turned on.
So that’s it! Hope this post was helpful and you could resolve the connection issues with your BG Smart Socket.