Teckin Smart Plug Not Connecting? (Solved!)
Connecting a Teckin Smart Plug to a compatible app/Wi-Fi is usually a seamless process.
However, you may sometimes run into problems if you’re not familiar with the connection process. Sounds like you? Then keep reading as I’ll walk you through the steps to fix connection issues with your Teckin Smart Plug. Let’s head right into it!
In short, here’s what to do if your Teckin Smart Plug won’t connect to your home Wi-Fi:
- Ensure you’re using the right app—Smart Life App works fine.
- Check to see if you’re connected to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network band. If not, switch to 2.4GHz.
- Confirm that your Wi-Fi network signal strength is strong.
- Check whether too many devices are connected to your router at the same time. If so, disconnect some devices.
- Ensure your Wi-Fi network is password protected and confirm that you’re using the correct password.
- Uninstall and reinstall the app.
- Restore factory settings on your Smart Plug and start the connection process again.
Now, let’s get into more details about the above troubleshooting steps.
How to Troubleshoot a Teckin Smart Plug that Won’t Connect
1. Ensure You’re Using the Right App
If you’re trying to connect this device to the Teckin app, you may have lots of problems as the app literally does nothing. The best app for your Teckin Smart Plug is the Smart Life App.
So, head over to Google Play Store or Apple App Store (depending on the device you’re using) and install the Smart Life App.
2. Ensure You’re Connected to a Supported Wi-Fi Network Band
Teckin smart plug only supports a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, so if you’re connected to a 5GHz Wi-Fi network, switch to a 2.4GHz network and try to connect again.
To see what Wi-Fi network band you’re using, check your phone’s Wi-Fi settings to see if you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network that ends with 5GHz or 2.4GHz.
You may also check your router settings and change your Wi-Fi network band. Check your router’s user manual for a detailed guide on how to switch network bands.
3. Check that Too Many Devices Are Not Connected to Your Router
Some routers do not allow users to connect more than 10 devices at a time. So, check the connection limit of your router and reduce some devices.
More so, you may not have reached your router’s connection limit, but connecting too many devices at the same time can cause connectivity issues with your Teckin Smart Plug. If you currently have many devices connected to your router, try reducing some to see if that’ll solve the problem.
4. Improve Wi-Fi Signal Strength
You may also experience difficulties connecting your Teckin Smart Plug to Wi-Fi if your home Wi-Fi signal strength is weak. Though you can’t check Wi-Fi signal strength on your Teckin Smart Plug, locating your router too far from the device may cause weak signals.
If your router is positioned too far from your device, bring it closer to improve the signal strength. You may also consider getting a Wi-Fi extender to boost your network signal strength or reset and upgrade your router if needed.
You should try to connect your device to Wi-Fi again to see if it works.
5. Ensure Your Wi-Fi Network is Password-Protected
As you may have seen during the connection process, the app will prompt you to enter your Wi-Fi password to authorize the connection, so you want to ensure your home Wi-Fi network is password-protected.
And the connection will fail if your password is incorrect. So be sure you’re using your correct Wi-Fi password. If you’ve forgotten your password, reset the router and set a new password.
Check your router’s user manual for detailed instructions—if you need to reset it.
6. Update the App
The app (Smart Life App) may also cause connection issues if it’s outdated. If you’re still having connection issues after trying the fixes above, check for updates and update the app. If needed, uninstall and reinstall the app to clear internal glitches or so.
More so, check that your Teckin Smart Plug’s firmware is up-to-date. You can update your Teckin Smart plug’s firmware via the Smart Life App.
Note: Teckin Smart Plug works better with Smart Life App. Ensure you’re not using the Teckin app to avoid connection problems.
7. Restore Factory Settings on Your Smart Plug
So this is the final troubleshooting step to fix the connection issues with your Teckin Smart Plug.
If the problem persists after trying all other troubleshooting tips, then factory reset the socket. Mostly, restoring factory settings helps to solve connection problems and other minor issues you may have with your Teckin Smart Plug.
If you’re not sure how to restore factory settings on your Teckin Smart Plug, here’s how:
Press and hold the Power button (for about 5 to 10 seconds) until the LED light starts blinking rapidly and then slowly. This should reset your device.
Note: Resetting your Smart Plug will erase all custom settings, so you’ll have to start all over again to set up your device with the app. See how to do that below.
How to Connect Teckin Smart Plug to Smart Life App
- Install the Smart Life App from Google Play Store or Apple App Store depending on the device you’re using. Next, open the app and tap Login or Register. If you already have a Smart Life account, simply log in. If not, tap Register and follow the onscreen instructions to complete your registration.
- Plug in your Smart Plug and ensure the LED light (on the Power button) is flashing. If not, press and hold the Power button (for a few seconds) until it starts flashing.
- Now return to the Smart Life app on your phone and tap the Plus (+) icon on the top right-hand corner. This will show you a list of all the Smart Plugs Teckin offers.
- Tap on the Teckin smart plug you have and then enter your Wi-Fi password and tap Next. This will take you to a screen that asks whether the LED light on your Smart Plug is fast blinking or blinking slowly. It should be blinking fast, so tap ‘is fast blinking’.
- Now, wait for the app to scan and add your device. When completed, rename your device (if you want) and then tap Done.
So that’s all about setting up your Teckin Smart Plug with the Smart Life App. You can now control your lights and other devices plugged into the socket via the Smart Life App on your phone.
Teckin Smart Plug also works with Google Assistant and Alexa, so you can set it up with Alexa or Google to control your devices via voice commands.
You may also like to see how to troubleshoot KMC Smart Plug, Lutron Caseta, and Aoycocr Smart Plug.
How do I connect Teckin Smart Plug to Alexa?
- Open the Alexa app on your phone and tap the Menu icon (it looks like three horizontal lines) in the top left-hand corner. Next, tap Skills and Games.
- Tap the Search icon in the top right-hand corner and type in “Smart Life”. Next, tap Smart Life from the search results.
- Tap ENABLE TO USE and sign in with your Smart Life account details (email and password).
- Select Smart Life and tap Link Now.
- Tap Authorize to complete the setup.
You can now ask Alexa to turn on/off devices connected to your Teckin Smart Plug via voice commands.
How do I connect Teckin Smart Plug to Google Home?
- Open the Google Home app on your phone and tap the Plus (+) symbol in the top left-hand corner. Next, tap Set Up Device, then tap Works with Google.
- Tap the Search icon in the upper right-hand corner and type “Smart Life” in the search box, then click Smart Life from the search results.
- Sign in with your Smart Life account details (email and password), then select Smart Life and tap Link Now.
- Click Authorize to complete the pairing.
Now your Teckin Smart Plug is paired to Google Home and you can now ask Google Assistant to turn on/off devices plugged into the plug.
Why is my Teckin Smart Plug offline?
If the app shows your plug is offline, chances are the plug is disconnected from Wi-Fi or turned off. With that in mind, here’s how to go about this issue:
- Unplug your Teckin Smart Plug from the wall socket and plug it back in. Confirm that it has received power (you will see some flashes on the LED indicator if it has received power).
- Restart your router and make sure it’s set to broadcast only the 2.4GHz network. Note that the plug won’t connect to the 5GHz Wi-Fi band, so the plug may go offline if the router automatically switches to the 5GHz Wi-Fi band.
- Return to the app to see if the issue is resolved. If not, press and hold the ON/OFF button (Power button) on the plug until the LED indicator flashes rapidly.
- Now try to connect the plug to your home Wi-Fi network. This should fix the offline issue.
How do I change the Wi-Fi on my Teckin Smart Plug?
To change the Wi-Fi on your Teckin Smart Plug, plug the device into an outlet and ensure that it has received power. Next, long-press the power button on your Teckin Plug for 5 to 10 seconds. This will reset the plug, so you can now set it up/connect to a new Wi-Fi network.
Setting up your Teckin Smart Plug with the Smart Life App is something you can easily do—as you can see. But you may sometimes encounter difficulties if some things aren’t done correctly.
So if you’ve connection problems, check your Wi-Fi network band, ensure your password is correct, improve Wi-Fi signal strength, and ensure you’re not connecting too many devices to your router simultaneously.
Of course, you need to use the right app as well. As mentioned, the Teckin App doesn’t work, so ensure you install and use the Smart Life App for the setup.
This should fix the connection problem with your Smart Plug. But if the problem persists, factory reset the device and try again. Your last shot is to contact the Teckin support team if the problem persists.